Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Tioga Road Bicycle Partial Opening

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road Bicycle Partial Opening
May 27, 2011 02:52PM
The Tioga Road is now open to bicycles from Crane Flat to Yosemite Creek Bridge. Please watch out for debris on the road and road crew traffic. If conditions allow, they will extend the bicycle zone farther east prior to the opening.
avatar Re: Tioga Road Bicycle Partial Opening
May 27, 2011 03:43PM
Oh, now that sounds like fun! Too bad our weekends are getting filled up between now and July 1. Maybe I can talk the boy into taking a mid-week trip sometime in June.
Re: Tioga Road Bicycle Partial Opening
May 27, 2011 05:16PM
I did not know that they did that. Is this something they do every year. I assume it is just bicycles. I have always wanted to ride my bicycle on tioga pass rd., however, when tourist traffic, i think it is crazy.
May 27, 2011 06:28PM
I have to wonder what kind of climbing there is along the part that is open to cyclists.
May 27, 2011 06:32PM
itchbay
I have to wonder what kind of climbing there is along the part that is open to cyclists.

Rock climbing or bike climbing?
May 27, 2011 06:35PM
Ha! Bike climbing. I suppose I could do some kind of search for elevation changes along the road.
May 27, 2011 06:44PM
So, it looks like it's just under 40 miles from Crane Flat to the bridge, and only about 1000' of elevation. And nothing too steep. Sounds like a great out and back ride.
May 27, 2011 07:05PM
itchbay
So, it looks like it's just under 40 miles from Crane Flat to the bridge,

Not really.
May 27, 2011 07:05PM
itchbay
So, it looks like it's just under 40 miles from Crane Flat to the bridge, and only about 1000' of elevation. And nothing too steep. Sounds like a great out and back ride.

From TOPO!, here is the profile of the road elevation from the Yosemite Institute/Tuolumne Grove parking lot to the Yosemite Creek bridge:

Re: Tioga Road Bicycle Partial Opening
May 27, 2011 11:36PM
I'd never even thought about biking the unopened road, that sounds like a lot of fun.
May 28, 2011 12:45PM
We're already talking about making it a group event next year. Get a couple of campsites at Hodgdon Meadows, do a long out-and-back, camp and drink lots of beers. Sounds like heaven.
May 28, 2011 01:02PM
itchbay
We're already talking about making it a group event next year. Get a couple of campsites at Hodgdon Meadows, do a long out-and-back, camp and drink lots of beers. Sounds like heaven.

Don't count on this happening every year.

I may be mistaken but, If memory serves correctly, this is only about the 2nd or 3rd time in the last 10-15 years that they have allowed bike traffic before opening the road to motor vehicles. Have no idea what may be their criteria for doing so, but I suspect that it is related to the amount of service vehicle traffic anticipated using the road.
May 28, 2011 02:44PM
Well, we can still ride the road, even if it's opened to cars. We're all experienced road cyclists. It wouldn't be ideal, but I'm sure others have done it without incident.

My only concern would be the maroons with the RVs they only drive around twice every 10 years, and they have no idea how wide they are, or how to properly get over and back around a cyclist. But seeing as how I live and ride in Sonoma County, I'm used to even that.
May 28, 2011 09:54PM
itchbay
the maroons with the RVs they only drive around twice every 10 years

Worse: a lot of those RVs are rentals and the driver often has never been behind the wheel of one before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login