Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

El Cap Gully

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

El Cap Gully
October 14, 2010 04:42PM
Tanngrisnir3 wrote about photo lookout points:

Thanks! I'm thinking specifically of the ones on the south wall of the valley, as I've done some of the ones on the north wall, and as I mentioned, plan to do El Cap Gully very soon. The south wall is something I've driven by my whole life and never, until recently, considered/thought about ascending, as I'm sure millions of other people have also done.

OK. I trust that you are an active climber, and know what you are doing. El Cap Gully is a class 4 climb, or as some people say, "an easy class 5". See photo and description:
photo
route description

I know of at least three people that have died on this route. It used to be a popular descent route, but hardly gets mentioned in more recent guides. One problem is that it very easy to drop rocks on people, and if they are not roped, they won't survive being knocked off it. In one case, one guy fell on another and they both went down from there.

If you want a better look at the gully from the ground, there are only a few places to do so, because the gully is fairly narrow. Try Bridalveil Meadow, on the south bank of the river (about two miles away), or the lookout on the Pohono Trail above Silver Strand Falls and just east of Old Inspiration Point (about three miles away). Use binoculars or a long lens in afternoon lighting.

The top of Upper Cathedral Rock via the climbers descent route is just a hike, no climbing, with a terrific view of El Cap and of Dewey Point. But you can't see into El Cap Gully from there.

Have fun.
Re: El Cap Gully
October 14, 2010 05:31PM
wherever
Tanngrisnir3 wrote about photo lookout points:

Thanks! I'm thinking specifically of the ones on the south wall of the valley, as I've done some of the ones on the north wall, and as I mentioned, plan to do El Cap Gully very soon. The south wall is something I've driven by my whole life and never, until recently, considered/thought about ascending, as I'm sure millions of other people have also done.

OK. I trust that you are an active climber, and know what you are doing. El Cap Gully is a class 4 climb, or as some people say, "an easy class 5". See photo and description:
photo
route description

I know of at least three people that have died on this route. It used to be a popular descent route, but hardly gets mentioned in more recent guides. One problem is that it very easy to drop rocks on people, and if they are not roped, they won't survive being knocked off it. In one case, one guy fell on another and they both went down from there.

If you want a better look at the gully from the ground, there are only a few places to do so, because the gully is fairly narrow. Try Bridalveil Meadow, on the south bank of the river (about two miles away), or the lookout on the Pohono Trail above Silver Strand Falls and just east of Old Inspiration Point (about three miles away). Use binoculars or a long lens in afternoon lighting.

The top of Upper Cathedral Rock via the climbers descent route is just a hike, no climbing, with a terrific view of El Cap and of Dewey Point. But you can't see into El Cap Gully from there.

Have fun.

Thanks! Yes, I know what I'm doing, and I'm going solo, so there shouldn't be any worries about dropping rocks on other folks.
September 28, 2011 12:43AM
Trip report? smiling smiley

How was it?
September 28, 2011 10:00AM
Sorry, I STILL haven't made it, as either the weather has been dicey, or demands of the trip (re: g/f and photography) haven't allowed for the entire day I'm going to need to do it.

Still, if conditions permit, on the weekend before Halloween I'm going to be in the Valley and I'm going to scout out the Ribbon Falls amphitheater and the bottom area of El Cap Gully.

Unfortunately (of fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) 95% of my time up there is spent on photography.

I WILL get it done, though.
September 28, 2011 05:42PM
been wanting to do this as well, got a few other things to check off first though
September 28, 2011 06:40PM
ryanmj
been wanting to do this as well, got a few other things to check off first though

Probably not gonna be on my list anytime soon. I might be able to do 1/2 of it. That top section looks insane. For me, it's Death Gully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login