Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Now is a good time

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 07, 2011 06:07PM
To post all those photos and stuff you said you would.

I'm sitting here waiting:

I don't hibernate like the Marmuts and Bears.

Peace
Chick-on is looking at you!

Re: Now is a good time
November 07, 2011 07:13PM
Hmm, from one of the Pinnacles? If not, then it's just below the summit of Clouds Rest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 07:16PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 07, 2011 08:16PM
Here is one from back in May...you know, when it starts getting warm and the wildflowers are blooming!
November 15, 2011 06:02PM
Wow! Is that for real? The little rock formation in the foreground looks like a perfect miniature of Half Dome. Where, exactly was this taken from?
November 15, 2011 06:12PM
November 15, 2011 06:37PM
Oops...after recognizing nightsklabs mystery photos above, I get fooled by something artificial...how embarassing! eye popping smiley But here's a challenge for everybody (me included)...find a real rock formation that that perfectly mimics half-dome in miniature like that! Extra points if it's somewhere where you can get the real HD in the background.
November 15, 2011 06:59PM
DavidK42
Oops...after recognizing nightsklabs mystery photos above, I get fooled by something artificial...how embarassing! eye popping smiley But here's a challenge for everybody (me included)...find a real rock formation that that perfectly mimics half-dome in miniature like that! Extra points if it's somewhere where you can get the real HD in the background.

Even more extra points if its in Turlock.
November 17, 2011 07:31AM
I've seen stuff close. But I can't recall having a picture.

I did run across an amazing likeness to Yosemite Falls area in rock though:

Grinning Devil
November 17, 2011 01:31PM
DavidK42

Oops...after recognizing nightsklabs mystery photos above, I get fooled by something artificial...how embarassing!

But what's so artificial of that photograph? I don't think it was photoshopped. I think it was just taken straight-up from this location:

November 17, 2011 02:43PM
plawrence
But what's so artificial of that photograph? I don't think it was photoshopped. I think it was just taken straight-up from this location:

I think the reference to something artificial may have been with reference the bronze statue?? But for the record, yes, that was a straight on shot.
November 18, 2011 05:13AM
Bearproof
plawrence

I think the reference to something artificial may have been with reference the bronze statue?? But for the record, yes, that was a straight on shot.
Yes, absolutely...I was trying to be a bit silly about it but the "artificial" comment was just in reference to the fact that when I first looked at the photo, I thought I was seeing a natural rock formation in the foreground and, as you can well-imagine, with that as the context, the impression of a rock in the foreground looking so much like a "miniature half-dome" (especially with the real HD nicely lined up in the distance) was extremely striking! Once you know that the miniature is man-made, it's a nice piece of art work and still a wonderful photo but the accuracy of it as a mini-HD is less striking than if it had been a natural occurrence. (It was also a bit embarassing to me that I hadn't realized the "rock" in the foreground was a bronze statue...especially since I've actually stopped at this overlook (probably even have a picture of this statue in my collection somewhere but memory ain't what it used to be! winking smiley)
November 18, 2011 07:16AM
David, just for you...
There are 5 of these bronze statues in the park. If there is one I'm not missing... someone pipe up!
- Half Dome View
- Lower Yosemite Falls
- Tunnel View
- Olmsted Pt.
- Glacier Pt.

Was going to post this one awhile ago... under "Summited Half a Dome". Here it is now:

Have an enjoyable CVP Day! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 07:17AM by bill-e-g.
November 18, 2011 11:11AM
Thanks, Dale...I'd have hurt a lot less if I'd taken THIS route up Half Dome! Head roll
November 18, 2011 03:41PM
DavidK42
Thanks, Dale...I'd have hurt a lot less if I'd taken THIS route up Half Dome! Head roll

Well... with that white stuff there... this is actually a whole lot harder than Half Dome...
(it's more elevation, it's longer mileage, and it's snow going... )
tongue sticking out smiley

Or just wait and drive there... smiling smiley
November 07, 2011 08:52PM
2011? Well my best work in Yosemite this year was in late spring and were G10 digital closeups instead of large format landscapes. A couple below:

Sierra blazingstar, mentzelia crocea below Bolander's monkeyflower, mimulus bolanderi.
El Portal area of Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County
Canon G10, diffusion disk, 3800x3200 pixels
June 2011
image code JH3593

Denizen of bedrock cracks and cliffs, canyon dudleya, dudleya cymosa, with moss and lichen.
Poopenaut Point area of Yosemite National Park, Tuolumne County
Canon G10, diffusion disk, flash fill, 3000x4300 pixels
June 2011
image code JH3562

More Sierra Nevada wildflowers this spring of 2011 outside the park:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Closeups/Sierra/sierra_wf5.html

my digital closeup galleries:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Closeups/digi_closeups.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 08:54PM by DavidSenesac.
November 07, 2011 09:04PM
Beautiful shots with such vibrant colors. What is the largest print you've ordered, and are any of them framed?
November 07, 2011 09:47PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Beautiful shots with such vibrant colors. What is the largest print you've ordered, and are any of them framed?

Thanks. I have an Epson R2880 that I occassionally print out such smaller images however my business has been in a dormant mode quite awhile because I need a lot of $$ to deal with the size of the body of my work. In the past as with my large format work, I would tend to have small Lightjet prints made. These G10 images will hold up reasonably at 200ppi. The second image with 3000x4300 pixels could go 15x21.5 inches however I prefer smaller sharper closeups. Thus at 300ppi that would be 10x14.3 inches. On the gallery 5 link above, if one mouse selects the bottom 1/4 of any gallery thumbnail, a 100% pixel crop displays at screen resolution that with a typical monitor is blown up 3 times such a print resolution or about 90ppi, so one can see these images are plenty sharp and that is generally true across the full subject area per my style.

I only sell unframed prints to make things simple. I currently have 85 large format images on my Gallery B page alone,

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/gallery_b.html

that I need to have master prints made for before I can bring my business out of its sleep. Each will cost about $80+ to drum scan and another $80+ to print out even modest sized 24x30 inch Lightjets, so that is about $15k on top of any framing. Fortunately I make decent money in my 8-5 m-f hi tech job so that day isn't too far off.

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 09:54PM by DavidSenesac.
November 07, 2011 10:09PM
Superb image Gary! It is not easy to capture an exceptional image through the usual murky water vapory and dusty San Joaquin valley atmosphere that tends to dominate our summer sunsets in this era. Here the considerable warm hued light scattering even at closer distances is so dominant that it allows the icon HD to stand out much more prominantly against an undestracting smooth background versus what would be the case on clearer days. The subdued pastels are well presented just like one would experience standing there. The diffuse puff of obscured sun is an interesting feature. Might have to try putting my own tripod there someday haha.

November 08, 2011 08:16AM
Thanks, David. The smoke helped. smiling smiley

Btw, been learning more about using GEarth.

Cheers,

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
November 07, 2011 09:53PM
From just a couple weeks ago....

No marmuts or chickens in sight. No, wait; my buddy wouldn't cross the summit ridge. Doesn't that make him a marmut or something....?

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
November 08, 2011 08:03AM
those flower shots are gorgeous, David.
November 08, 2011 05:48PM
Pretty! Pretty! Pretty!
November 10, 2011 02:30PM
Here's a short video I took of Yosemite Creek on October 21st of this year at the Yosemite Creek - Ten Lakes Trail's trail crossing of the creek between the Yosemite Creek Campground and Tioga Road. Haven't seen so much water flowing down the creek so late in October:

November 14, 2011 07:21AM
Here's Yosemite Falls from Oct. 16, 2009:

Big dump... followed by beautiful weather... (i.e. similar to this yr)
November 13, 2011 08:32PM
http://flic.kr/p/aEwA3h

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 09:15PM by mBrad.
November 14, 2011 07:19AM
mBrad
http://flic.kr/p/aEwA3h

From your flickr... there is a "share" button
from there there is
" > Grab this link"
and
" > Grab the HTML/BBCode"

select the second one.
and then select your size, etc.
if you take everything you get this:

Yosemite Dry Flower by avon park projects, on Flickr

(you can hit quote to see the actual text)
Thanks for sharing
November 15, 2011 02:17PM
[/img][/img]

two of my personal favorites..Can you guess where the first one is taken?
November 15, 2011 03:46PM
My guess would be from the Misty Trail... looking SW from the switchers N of Nevada Falls.
(between Nevada and Liberty)

The second one I would say is from the railing above Nevada Falls looking down.
November 15, 2011 04:30PM
I'd say they're both from the upper Yosemite Falls overlook area.
November 15, 2011 04:41PM
Yeah. That was my first thought... but didn't vividly recall the trees below like on pict. 2.
(and also don't have my stash o pix to cheat with ... wink )
November 16, 2011 01:59AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 02:01AM by qumqats.
November 16, 2011 12:24PM
qumqats
Didn't a big slab of rock come off a while back making that roof?
November 15, 2011 05:17PM
Geez..you guys are good! First photo is from Upper Yosemite Falls Lookout, second is from Nevada.
November 16, 2011 08:31AM
November 16, 2011 10:51AM
So...I call this picture the Indian Chief but no one else agrees...
November 16, 2011 06:56PM
November 17, 2011 01:20PM
Ragged Peak above Upper Young Lakes on 8/28

From Mt. Dana on 10/15
November 18, 2011 07:23AM
Here's some thunderstorms building near Benson Lake in August 2006. That was the only time I've encountered midwestern-like thunderstorms in the Sierra, with ridiculous humidity, continuous lightning flashes, etc.

November 18, 2011 12:57PM

Merced River
November 23, 2011 07:24AM
Well, as long as we're just posting seemingly random Yosemite pics.....

Royal Arches from Stoneman Bridge, First Snow, November 2010 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
November 23, 2011 07:42AM
tanngrisnir3

Lots of nice peeekchures...

The truth of the matter is... I was trying to prod Peter to post some of his pictures.
It was sort of in reference to "when I get some time" that he has said about 20 times
this year.

I know you don't want to hear this... but that wasn't the first storm of 2010. Like
almost every year ... we get a first storm dumping snow in October.
Regardless, it's a gorgeous picture and tanks for sharon.

November 23, 2011 08:58AM
chick-on
tanngrisnir3

Lots of nice peeekchures...

The truth of the matter is... I was trying to prod Peter to post some of his pictures.
It was sort of in reference to "when I get some time" that he has said about 20 times
this year.

Well not quite 20 times.

And yes, I finally found some time to post some of my photos and videos.

(Though I do have a few more that I might post if I have the time. wink )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 08:59AM by plawrence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login