Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Where is this location?! All insiders to the rescue pls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Where is this location?! All insiders to the rescue pls
November 28, 2011 09:44AM
Hi guys,

Yosemite has been featured in many commercials (I like the current Panasonic UK commercial) and magazines covers (e.g. Half Dome is on the cover of the current Outdoor Photography magazine).

Half Dome is also featured in Chevrolet's commercial. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8zAJIyWRA&feature=youtube_gdata_player (starts at approx. 0:19).

We had a discussions on another forum if

a.) if this is real or the magic of digital film editing

b.) if it's real where it has been taken from (the original shot with the vintage car).

We had all kind of guesses from Glacier Point, Washburn Point, Sentinel Dome and whatnot. My guess it's been taken at the apex of the 180° corner between Glacier Point and Washburn Point (approx. in the middle of this Google Map: http://g.co/maps/sq724).

So....all you Yosemite insiders and pathfinders out there...whaddayathink?! smiling smiley
Re: Where is this location?! All insiders to the rescue pls
November 28, 2011 09:50AM
To me it also looks like the curve between Washburn Pt. and before that last hill down to Glacier Pt. parking lot. Can't tell from the google map if that is the exact place but it looks like it. You used to be able to park your car in that area but they put some boulders to block it.
avatar Re: Where is this location?! All insiders to the rescue pls
November 28, 2011 10:08AM
Well... first of all it's certainly not Washburn. Half Dome is straight on there. (i.e. can't see the face of it)
You know the big seating area just east of the Gift Shop where the fire pit is?
i.e. this:

JUST to the right of there is a sandy spot... it's taken there. Almost guarantee it.
I have a photo of the curve parklova is talking about... you can park on the west side of the road there...
it's not sandy enough there for this photo... and Clouds would be more obscured. ... i'll find it tonight.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 28, 2011 10:10AM
Another note... see the tree on the right of the video?
That is the same tree as the tree JUST to the right of Nevada in the photo I posted...

November 28, 2011 10:13AM
Maybe this will work:

here

November 28, 2011 11:21AM
If I recall correctly, that sandy spot is the exact location of the old Glacier Point Hotel.
November 28, 2011 08:55PM
Here's the photo from the curve:

See... you can't see top o Clouds Rest.

I Clouds Rest my case.

tongue sticking out smiley

Re: Where is this location?! All insiders to the rescue pls
November 28, 2011 12:11PM
I think the Birdman nailed it. Good job. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login