Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Tioga Road is Open

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 16, 2011 08:34PM
SR 120

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
December 17, 2011 06:47PM
Just heard from NPS that Tioga Road will probably remain open after the Weekend.
December 17, 2011 07:54PM
I know that there are records for the lastest OPENING in the season of Tioga, but are there any records of the latest CLOSING of the road? I cannot recall it being open this late in the season....

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
December 17, 2011 08:14PM
Bee
I know that there are records for the lastest OPENING in the season of Tioga, but are there any records of the latest CLOSING of the road? I cannot recall it being open this late in the season....

December 29th.

http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm
Re: Tioga Road is Open
December 17, 2011 08:27PM
eeek
Bee

December 29th.

http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm
Actually, it was Jan 1st, 2000, for the 1999 season.
December 18, 2011 07:45AM
I was a newbie, visiting Yosemite for the first times in 1976-1977 and I didn't know any better that Tioga Pass wasn't always open for well over half the year. Drove over Tioga in April in '77.

The next year...'78...I arrived to work in Yosemite in April and conditions were quite different. I was amazed how much water was in Yosemite Falls. I was first in line to drive over the pass on the east side in June.

Wow, I didn't know that the pass closed so late in 1999...guess we were too worried about Y2K.

So going today is not a nearly a record, but it will be the latest that I've ever driven over Tioga.
December 18, 2011 11:25AM
Newcomer here, I stumbled onto this site yesterday while looking for some Yosemite info. I'm taking the family to Curry Village after Christmas. I was originally hoping for copious amounts of snow so we could put in some time at Badger. Since that doesn't look like it will happen, I'm hoping to drive up to the Tioga area for some hiking and long looks at the high country in the great winter light.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login