Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

First time in 70 years

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 15, 2012 09:35PM
http://www.cbs47.tv/news/local/story/No-Snow-in-Yosemite/ZKpQfPWeHk2pzL2__epYZQ.cspx

....For the first time in 70 years, Tioga Pass is open in mid-January.....

(I have to wonder about the wisdom of taking a stroller on Tenaya Lake. See video )

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: First time in 70 years
January 15, 2012 09:43PM
Frank Furter
(I have to wonder about the wisdom of taking a stroller on Tenaya Lake. See video )

When I was there the day before Christmas Laura had taken an ice core. It was 7 inches thick.
January 16, 2012 04:59AM
eeek
Frank Furter

When I was there the day before Christmas Laura had taken an ice core. It was 7 inches thick.

If it is quality ice throughout the lake that would be fine. Frozen lakes and rivers accessible by car are rare in California during the winter and I wonder about the knowledge and preparation of the general public about travel on ice. There is a certain amount of herd behavior that accompanies ice travel and activities which is not always wise. Groups, weight and snow on the ice, currents, temperature, even birds and fish can result in misleading assumptions about ice thickness:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 05:17AM by Frank Furter.
January 16, 2012 08:11AM
All the ice up there is of darn good quality.
Having some idea of the flow of the lake is helpful.
Taking upside down hockey stick and smacking it big time...
if it doesn't break thru... good to go...
Put some stuff here for you.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50396

The park service is being ultra conservative. Accidents happen.

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 16, 2012 07:54AM
Surprised no one has mention anything about this statement:

"For the first time in 70 years, Tioga Pass is open in mid-January. Near the top of that pass is Tenaya Lake."

OK, I just did... sort of...

Re: First time in 70 years
January 16, 2012 07:57AM
I guess it depends on your definition of near....
January 16, 2012 08:02AM
hotrod4x5
I guess it depends on your definition of near....

Agree. Tioga and Ellery are both 1/5th the distance from Tioga Pass.
But those aren't IN Yosemite. Typical newscasts though...

January 16, 2012 08:24AM
chick-on
Surprised no one has mention anything about this statement:
"For the first time in 70 years, Tioga Pass is open in mid-January. Near the top of that pass is Tenaya Lake."
OK, I just did... sort of...

Yes, I almost posted about that one...not to mention that they say something to the effect of "much of Tioga Pass is above 8000 feet" (last time I checked, ALL of it was well above 8000 feet Head roll). It seems they've confused Tioga Road with Tioga Pass (although admittedly, I often hear people call the road Tioga Pass Road (although I think the official name is simply Tioga Road...or am I mistaken about that?) as a number of their comments only make sense with respect to the road rather than the Pass itself.
January 18, 2012 02:49PM
DavidK42

It seems they've confused Tioga Road with Tioga Pass (although admittedly, I often hear people call the road Tioga Pass Road (although I think the official name is simply Tioga Road...or am I mistaken about that?)

West of Tioga Pass: Tioga Road

East of Tioga Pass: Tioga Pass Road

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 03:10PM by plawrence.
January 16, 2012 10:49AM
Did a lot of pond and lake skating back East when I was growing up so I made sure that before we went on Tenaya Lake that the ice was thick enough. However, I am sure that most of the people that were on the lake did not think about if it was safe or not and went on because they saw other people on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login