Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Rockslide on 140?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 08, 2012 07:30PM
So, I did take 140 in through the Arch Rock entrance last Friday. On the way we came across a temporary one-way bridge that lets the traffic get around a rock slide. Pretty amazing looking. How long ago did that happen? We had to wait 10-15 minutes in each direction. I imagine that stretches out substantially in the summer traffic. I really liked the 140 route, but would not be sure it would be an acceptable alternate route in heavy traffic times (like summer.) We had the advantage of driving in on a Friday morning, and out during Super Bowl Sunday. No traffic to speak of.
February 08, 2012 10:14PM
here's a pretty good news article I found on it, it explains it better than I could smiling smiley

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700091064/Along-beloved-route-to-Yosemite-a-bridge-too-far.html

I love that drive. Usually I take 41 through wawona to get into the valley but I occasionally drive through mariposa and 140 into the valley through arch rock entrance. El portal is a fun area. I don't often take that route in the busy summer times so I'm not sure how bad the traffic can get on that route.

http://youtu.be/I8pvLZN0Q7g
at 3:45 it shows the bridge smiling smiley

(sorry i haven't figured out how to make the video image display, only how to paste the link)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 10:20PM by marmot.
February 08, 2012 11:56PM
I seem to recall that the bridges have been redone at least once. Initially they were perpendicular to the river, but now they're diagonal. There was a practical size limit that was increased when vehicles didn't have to perform a 90 degree turn.

I remember in the first few months a large vehicle damaged the bridge because it was too long and clipped the structure.
February 09, 2012 12:07AM
Paris92

So, I did take 140 in through the Arch Rock entrance last Friday. On the way we came across a temporary one-way bridge that lets the traffic get around a rock slide. Pretty amazing looking. How long ago did that happen? We had to wait 10-15 minutes in each direction. I imagine that stretches out substantially in the summer traffic. I really liked the 140 route, but would not be sure it would be an acceptable alternate route in heavy traffic times (like summer.) We had the advantage of driving in on a Friday morning, and out during Super Bowl Sunday. No traffic to speak of.

Well at least you were warn about that one-lane portion of Hwy 140 by others (including myself). Usually the wait when I've taken Hwy 140 has been only between 3 to 8 minutes on average, except during summer evenings when it has stretched to about 12 to 15 minutes. I'm very surprised that you had to wait 15 minutes in February. Did you actually time it, or just estimated that it was a 10 to 15 minutes wait?

As I have stated in a previous thread, I prefer taking Hwy 120 during the summers months (and also during spring and fall). I usually take Hwy 140 only during the winter months when there's snow on Hwy 120, or anytime during the year when my travel plans include stops in Mariposa or Merced.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login