Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Dogs on trails

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Dogs on trails
April 06, 2012 10:56AM
Anyone know if leashed dogs are allowed on the Valley Floor Loop trail? The NPS webpage is a little ambigous about this one.
April 06, 2012 11:58AM
Re: Dogs on trails
April 06, 2012 01:14PM
They are not.

From the NPS website:

Pets
If you choose to bring your pet to Yosemite, please abide by these regulations:

Pets are only allowed

in developed areas

on fully paved trails and roads except trails signed as not allowing pets (pets are not allowed off the floor of Yosemite Valley, including the trail to Vernal Fall)

in campgrounds (except Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and walk-in campgrounds)
Pets are not allowed
on unpaved or poorly paved trails, or trails signed as not allowing pets (however, pets are allowed on the Wawona Meadow Loop)

on unplowed roads covered in snow

in Wilderness areas
on shuttle buses
in concessioner lodging areas
in Tamarack Flat, Porcupine Flat, and all walk-in campgrounds
in any group or horse camps
Pets must be restrained on a leash not more than six feet long or otherwise physically restrained
Leashed pets may not be left unattended
For the courtesy of other visitors, human companions are responsible for cleaning up and depositing pet feces in trash receptacles
Remember that pet food is also bear food: store pet food as if it were human food.

These regulations protect both pets and wildlife from disease and each other. The National Park Service has prohibited pets on trails for many years. In particular, dogs chase wildlife, pollute water sources, and can become defensive and dangerous in unfamiliar surroundings. Pet owners have the burden to assure their pet does not damage the park values for others in those areas where pets are allowed.

DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite operates a dog kennel in Yosemite Valley from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Written proof of immunizations (rabies, distemper, parvo, and Bordetella) must be provided. Dogs must be at least 20 pounds (smaller dogs may be considered if you provide a small kennel). You can get more information about the kennel by calling 209/372-8348.

There are a few additional (very obscure and unsigned) places where pets are allowed: Four Mile fire road in Wawona, on the Carlon Road, and on the Old Big Oak Flat Road between Hodgdon Meadow and Hazel Green Creek.
April 06, 2012 03:10PM
There are definitely parts that are paved.
April 06, 2012 04:03PM
The valley loop trail is not considered a paved trail and dogs are not allowed on it.
April 06, 2012 07:22PM
y_p_w
There are definitely parts that are paved.
Are you talking about the bike path?
April 06, 2012 03:03PM
An easy way to understand the rules: if it's dirt; your dog cannot be on it.
April 06, 2012 10:18PM
I saw six or eight dogs (and zero rangers) on valley loop trails between March 24 and 28, some dogs on leash and some off. An easy-going dog that is not likely to generate complaints will likely be fine, I think. I see it as a series of diminishing possibilities:
1) will I bring a dog?
2) will there be a ranger in same place & time?
3) will the ranger be unforgiving?
4) ranger gives me a fine / citation - I help fund the park!

That said, dogs that disrupt the natural environment (digging, chasing other animals) are for sure having a negative impact on the natural environment. Better not to bring a deer or squirrel-chasing dog off-leash. A little dachshund that's on leash trotting alongside is not making major impact, IMHO.
April 07, 2012 07:05AM
The fine doesn't go to the park. Dachsunds were bred to hunt ground burrowing animals. Many still have that inbred behavior.

Yosemite is not a dog friendly park. It would probably be best to board the dog in a kennel before you leave home.
April 07, 2012 10:59AM
Tuesday we were walking the Valley Loop between Sentinel Bridge and Le Conte Memorial and was pondering the fact that parts of the trail are still paved. We were joking around that if we had our dogs with us could we have them walk the paved parts and then pick them up and carrying them on the dirt parts. Of course, we were not serious because a few patches of pavement does not make a paved trail.

By the way, dogs are allowed at Glacier Point as long as you stay on the paved path.

No national or state parks are dog friendly anymore. If you are planning on doing any hiking, leave the dogs at home instead of leaving them in your car or campsite while you go off and hike. They will be more comfortable at home and you will be able to do more.
April 07, 2012 11:30AM
parklover

No national or state parks are dog friendly anymore. If you are planning on doing any hiking, leave the dogs at home instead of leaving them in your car or campsite while you go off and hike. They will be more comfortable at home and you will be able to do more.

As an alternative (where dogs are still permitted on most trails), most National Forests are still dog friendly.

April 07, 2012 05:32PM
parklover
No national or state parks are dog friendly anymore.

This is not completely true.

I'm not a dog owner because of a kid with asthma and allergies but our family loves dogs. On recent group hikes in Alaska at state parks part of the group has brought their dogs. And I can see how fun it is having a dog on a trail with you. On the other hand I understand the prohibition at places like Yosemite--at least I think I justify the "ban" by saying lower 48 parks are just too crowded and Alaska is just different.

Dogs also provide a great warning system for bears.
April 07, 2012 05:45PM
Was walking down a little dirt trail east of the backpackers camp (the one north of North Pines) when I heard a noise off to the left of me and saw a deer with a fawn just 15 ft. from me. The light was just right and they were both poised for a great pictue...just as I raised my camera they suddenly took off in a hurry and then I realized why. A dog that was not on a leash took out after them. The owner tried to call him back but the damage was already done. Dog on a dirt trail in the Valley and no leash...a double no no.
April 09, 2012 10:42AM
mtn man
Was walking down a little dirt trail east of the backpackers camp (the one north of North Pines) when I heard a noise off to the left of me and saw a deer with a fawn just 15 ft. from me. The light was just right and they were both poised for a great pictue...just as I raised my camera they suddenly took off in a hurry and then I realized why. A dog that was not on a leash took out after them. The owner tried to call him back but the damage was already done. Dog on a dirt trail in the Valley and no leash...a double no no.

It could be worse. Imagine dogs bolting out of vehicles, Yellowstone, and pools of hot, scalding water that looks like a cool refreshing place to jump into. It's happened.
April 09, 2012 08:43AM
Thanks for all the input. We'll find other paths to follow. The dogs are probably too old to go that far anyway. Thanks again.

(Too bad they can't make a rule about putting disruptive children on a leash . . . )
April 09, 2012 10:34AM
Roadbum
Thanks for all the input. We'll find other paths to follow. The dogs are probably too old to go that far anyway. Thanks again.

(Too bad they can't make a rule about putting disruptive children on a leash . . . )

Now wouldn't that be great! LOL

I can say that my dogs are much more well behaved then some kids I have come across. Of course, I have also come across some adults where a leash and a muzzle would have been useful.
April 11, 2012 09:01AM
If you end up making a list, please keep me informed on the forum of where you can and cannot walk your dogs. I would love to bring my pups one day.
April 11, 2012 03:21PM
Leave your dog with a friend or boarding house. If you limit your exploration of the Park to where your dog can go, you might as well go to the city park. (my $.02)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 03:22PM by boomtown.
April 11, 2012 03:40PM
boomtown
Leave your dog with a friend or boarding house. If you limit your exploration of the Park to where your dog can go, you might as well go to the city park. (my $.02)

Especially in the summer. If you leave your dog in the car they will open it up, take the dog to the kennel, and leave an expensive ticket along with a bill for the kennel. For "doggy day care" call DNC and arrange with them for putting up your dog for the day. It's by the stables, I think, for day use only, no food, and is only $9.50 for the day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login