Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

National Park Video:Water in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

National Park Video:Water in Yosemite
April 20, 2012 09:38PM
Re: National Park Video:Water in Yosemite
April 21, 2012 09:39AM
Great video that should be shown to the public before they enter the park. We happened to have seen the end of the rescue of the two guys. Shockingly, as the rescue was wrapping up a man with two young kids started to cross in the same area but luckily bystanders stopped them. You have to wonder what people are thinking. Probably "It will not happen to me."
avatar Re: National Park Video:Water in Yosemite
April 21, 2012 11:21AM
) The most common causes of deaths in Yosemite are water related
) As little as a couple of inches of flowing water can sweep you downstream
) Wet rocks can be deceivingly slippery. Assume that any wet rock is NOT a stable footing

The only thing I dislike about this video is it's mantra about "staying on the trail!". They're speaking to the lowest-common-dominator type of person. These people DO need to stay on trail. However once a person has gained some knowledge and skills and knows their limits they should be encouraged to go off trail.
avatar Re: National Park Video:Water in Yosemite
April 21, 2012 08:39PM
qumqats

However once a person has gained some knowledge and skills and knows their limits they should be encouraged to go off trail.

I don't think the Park Service should encourage people – even knowledgable hikers and backpackers – to go off trail. But just continue to allow it.

(And make it clear in the park regulations that it is indeed allowed.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login