Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Staying in the valley for free...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Staying in the valley for free...
May 09, 2012 05:57AM
I ran into a guy last summer while photoing the moonbow who said he didn't have a place to stay. What? I asked, where do you sleep at night?

He said he didn't sleep at night, he slept during the day. He claimed he would stay up all night to avoid being bothered by park LEO and just sleep during the day in his car, which apparently is not prohibited.

Anyone ever hear of anyone doing this?
avatar Re: Staying in the valley for free...
May 09, 2012 06:23AM
As I said in another thread, camping without a permit is the only thing that is technically illegal. I've been with someone who was too tired to come with me and just took a nap in the car at Pinnacles NM. A ranger said it should be OK.

There are tons of people who nap all over the park during the day without a campsite or wilderness permit. They'd be hard pressed to try and enforce a camping regulation for that. If my kid falls asleep in the car seat while I'm in Yosemite, you think a ranger is going to see that and tell me that it's illegal?

Now if it's abused to the point where it looks like one is trying to camp without a permit, then I'd think they could enforce the camping rules.
May 09, 2012 09:13AM
y_p_w
If my kid falls asleep in the car seat while I'm in Yosemite, you think a ranger is going to see that and tell me that it's illegal?

Not at all, as children under 12 are allowed to nap for free! winking smiley
May 09, 2012 06:26AM
I do it all the time.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 09, 2012 06:27AM
chick-on
I do it all the time.

(pull people's legs)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Staying in the valley for free...
May 09, 2012 08:06AM
And if you sleep during the day, and hike at night, there aren't so many people on the trails !

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login