Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

The trail to Gardisky: bad as I've heard?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The trail to Gardisky: bad as I've heard?
May 17, 2012 09:36AM
Sort of had a notion to check it out for a while now, since I've seen some shots up there that could be worked beautifully in the right light, but I've also heard the trail is one of the few that go full-on, straight up from the first step until final destination.

Not that I have a problem with that, but there's the issue hauling up camera gear, possibly camping, and someone I'm going with not necessarily digging that sort of climb.

Thanks!
avatar Re: The trail to Gardisky: bad as I've heard?
May 17, 2012 11:55AM
The trail does go up - it sort of has to - but it's not that steep and not very long. It follows the tree-lined gully in this picture:

Some more shots here but none of the trail itself, it's fairly unremarkable:
http://www.qitnl.com/v/092411/

If pack weight is a problem, you could just make two trips, it takes about 15 minutes to get down.

If you want to head up the peak, there's a well-worn use trail that starts right when you reach the start of the plateau. Cross the creek and stay close to the ridge and it should make itself obvious. You don't really need the trail, it's easy walking, but I'll often point them out to minimize wear and tear on the mountains.

There are a couple of locals who are engaging in an ascent battle according to the register. The score was something like 3217 to 2955 when I was up there last year.
avatar Re: The trail to Gardisky: bad as I've heard?
May 17, 2012 09:22PM
Its very short and easy. It does go up, but very short and easy. Maybe 800 gain. Here is the best picture I have of the Gardisky Lake area. You might want to summit Tioga peak if you stay the night. Maybe another 1000 gain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login