Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

The best Tuolumne cascades: how far past Pothole?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The best Tuolumne cascades: how far past Pothole?
May 23, 2012 10:33AM
I understand that there may be two different sets or places where there are cascades on the Tuolumne River on the trail to Glen Aulin.

Since I'm planning on a sunset shoot of them, I'd like to know in advance how far any walk back the the 120 with headlamps might be.

Thanks, as always.
Re: The best Tuolumne cascades: how far past Pothole?
May 23, 2012 11:18AM
There is California and LeConte falls I believe they are marked on most maps.
May 23, 2012 11:25AM
The title mentions Pothole (Dome?), but the official Glen Aulin trail doesn't go near Pothole Dome... I'm assuming you're referring to the unofficial use trail that follows the south side of the Tuolumne, from Pothole Dome to the bridges where the official trail crosses to the south. (The official trail stays far from the river in the forest for the first few miles...)

There is one set of cascades when this trail first meets the river, maybe 20 or so minutes from the Pothole Dome parking lot (or fifteen hours from White Wolf smiling smiley ). Past this set is a large meadow, then a narrow stretch that could cause lighting challenges at sunset (the river might be in shadows). The next set of cascades that would be good for sunset photography is probably between the bridges and Glen Aulin--but that's 3-4 miles or so from the parking lot.
avatar Re: The best Tuolumne cascades: how far past Pothole?
May 23, 2012 11:49AM
I wanna say (and I will) that there is a decent little rollin stream-age right here

Z place where ur wifey is... that is nice and is here

I'll have to look tonight to see if I have anything from the first spot....

Wondering how many of these places tann gonna actually get to...

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2012 01:45PM
chick-on
I wanna say (and I will) that there is a decent little rollin stream-age right here

Z place where ur wifey is... that is nice and is here

I'll have to look tonight to see if I have anything from the first spot....

Wondering how many of these places tann gonna actually get to...

Ha! Thanks ( to you and everybody) and it will likely be a VERY busy 3 1/2 days.
May 23, 2012 12:12PM
This cascade is quite nice. I think it is the spot where Chick-on's first map is centered, the first cascade out of TM. About a twenty minute walk around Pothole Dome.
May 23, 2012 01:25PM
There are a series of cascades most of the way down to GA, not just two. There are also two good sized waterfalls. None of that area is going to get direct sunset orange much less red light because other higher features to the west down canyon block the light. Very obvious with a quick look at an online topo at the 100k scale. However one can get relatively late afternoon light in the yellow phase. Ideally with a cloud deck just over the higher Sierra, one can get cloud underlit illumination diffusely down from the lit underside of the cloud deck. However dunt happen very often.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login