Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Tuolumne Winter, Memorial Day Weekend 2012

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Winter, Memorial Day Weekend 2012
May 29, 2012 02:14PM
Oi.

First off, it took us an hour and a half just to get from the last hotel in El Portal (Yosemite View Lodge?) to the damned park entrance. I've never had that happen before in my life. Perhaps I've been lucky.

Then, when we finally got in.....nada. No traffic from there to the 120 turnoff whatsoever. Looked like we'd been told, as well, as far as the forecast. Variable clouds and some snow dusting that was likely already past.

Then, when we actually got in up past Crane Flat, we knew it wasn't going to be the lovely, green-meadowy long weekend that we had planned.

This was taken from the third parking space left of tree on the north side of the Tuolumne Grill parking lot. Couldn't think of a grand name for it, so I just called it what it was. At least I was lucky enough to get a moving sunspot, right in the meadown.

Tuolumne Meadow across from the Grill by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

That same evening, at Olmsted Point, with laughably variable weather.....

Last Color Looking North, Olmsted Point by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Olmsted Point, Evening Fog by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

And, finally, a particular small lake on the south side of 120, roughly 2 miles before the park entrance/exit on the east side. Don't know if it has a name, but it's got a VERY noticeable, huge juniper tree at it's south end.

Afternoon Sky in Vernal Pond, Tuolumne Meadows by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

We decided to leave a day early (I know, I know......) since the skies weren't cooperating and the hikes we had planned were a bit too cold for our liking (and gear).

Oh well, there's always next month.
Re: Tuolumne Winter, Memorial Day Weekend 2012
May 29, 2012 04:12PM
Looks like winter came a little late this year. Nice images! (An hour and a half just to go a couple of miles,very frustrating.)
Re: Tuolumne Winter, Memorial Day Weekend 2012
May 29, 2012 04:28PM
We had a completely different experience. Our plans to go to TML on Saturday morning were cancelled because (at the time) the Tioga Road was closed. By the time it opened we had made reservations elsewhere for Saturday night. But Sunday and Monday were gloriously beautiful days in Tuolumne.

We hiked up to May Lake (the road to May Lake was still closed). There were large patches of deep snow at the lake but I hiked around them. The sky was clear blue. The temperature was cool. There weren't any mosquitos. The views of the mountains to the east and west was spectacular with the dusting of new snow. The next day (Monday) the hike up Lyell Canyon was great. There were some swampy areas near the meadow but it was easy to get around them. The trail was only muddy in small areas.

Best of all, the Tuolumne area was not crowded for a holiday weekend. The only place with lots of folks was Olmstead Point. I have never seen the TML so empty. Very few for dinner Sunday night. Empty tent cabins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login