Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

water on trail to Half Dome question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

water on trail to Half Dome question
July 13, 2012 06:40AM
Hiking to Half Dome in two weeks, July 26. We are planning to pump/filter water once we get to the top of Nevada Falls.
Is there water there? I've never seen it dry.
I don't remember where the spring is nearer to Half Dome. Just in case: Directions? Is there water there?
Thanks.
Re: water on trail to Half Dome question
July 13, 2012 07:34AM
There will be water at the top of Nevada Falls (the Merced River), and probably some in Sunrise Creek, but I wouldn't expect anything past Little Yosemite Valley, such as at the spring--it was looking quite dry back in early June when I was last there. Maybe someone who knows exactly where the spring and pipe are would be able to find water, but there was nothing near the trail.
avatar Re: water on trail to Half Dome question
July 13, 2012 09:05AM
The location of the spring (it's a pipe) has been discussed before on this forum.

From a previous thread (http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,29842,29878#msg-29878), here are two photos of the spring (from Bearproof):

From 2003 (with his two sons):

And from last year (2011):

And here's the location of the spring (courtesy of Wherever):

And here are the GPS coordinates of the spring courtesy of three people:

Wherever: N37.7497, W119.5139

Bearproof: N37.75079, W119.51276

Chick-on: N37.75012, W119.51352

I have no idea though if there will still be water flowing from it when you hike to Half Dome in two weeks.

July 13, 2012 08:51AM
I was on the trail up to HD July 5th and spoke to the ranger at the ticket check-point ( HD Trail/JMT Trail? ) and I asked where the nearest location was for water. He mentioned two spots, down to the merced river and another spot, a spring, just up from the check-point about about 5-6 switchbacks up or about 200 yards. I have a picture of the spot but need help posting it.

To find the location of the the spring, if going up to HD, travel up from the check-point and in about 10-15min you'll start to see area's off to the left of the trail that are greener ( 5-7 switchbacks or around 200 yards ). The area is green from the run-off of this spring. Shortly after this a a large stump from a Pine tree that recently fell across the road will come into view as you turn to face. The stump is on the left side of the trail. You can't miss it as the stump is cut perpendicular to and right next to the trail. The size of the stump is large too, around 7' in diameter. The spring lies right behind the stump, only 2-3 feet from the trail. You do not get a direct view of the spring, a small puddle of water as it's located right behind the Stump, but in some ways the stump both protects and keeps the stream clean from traffic. Water perculates up from the ground to feed the spring.

I tried looking for the other pipped spring, which I believe is still higher up on the trail from this spot, but I think I went off-trail at the wrong location. I did find a spring of water near the off-trail location with a very small pool of water but the pool of water was located under and inside the base of a tree. I wish I would have taken a picture of this, but at the time I believed that I wasn't at the right location and that I needed to travel further up the ravine or higher up the trail.
July 13, 2012 01:15PM
snorkus
Is there water there?
Thanks.

Typically springs marked on a USGS topo are reliable enough to count on. Carry two or three liters per person from the Merced and you should not have to worry about finding the spring.

Old Dude
July 14, 2012 05:41PM
The spring LimonJelly is talking about is right of the side of the trail and always flowing
July 22, 2012 04:09PM
My family was there ( Nevada Falls) yesterday and there is plenty of water flowing on the Merced river. You will be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 04:09PM by bugsinrugs.
July 23, 2012 07:18AM
Thanks all for the replies.
I am so looking forward to getting away to do this hike. It has been about 21 years since I have been further than Vernal Falls. I just wanted to make sure that I have enough. My 14 year old son is making the trip with me, among others. I want to be prepared, or my wife will kill me(if the hike doesn't).
The last time that I done this, I was in my marathon running days in my early 30's. I think that I made the Half Dome round trip in 8 hours. The people that I was with were in a race to see how fast we could do it. I would have preferred to linger up there. I have been doing 2 hikes a week and running about 15-20 miles a week, so I think that I am prepared.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login