Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Be careful with your stove

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Be careful with your stove
July 25, 2012 01:09PM
At about 8:45 a.m. on Friday, July 6, a 52 year-old female backpacker staying in the Little Yosemite Valley backpacker's campground suffered partial thickness burns (2nd degree burns) to both her legs. After eating breakfast, the subject and her fellow backpackers prepared to wash their dishes by bringing a pot of water to boil. The group was using a single-burner backpacking stove, placed on top of a low stump. The pot of boiling water was accidentally spilled on the subject's legs, causing partial thickness burns to the subject's entire right knee and an estimated two-thirds of the circumference of the subject's left calf. Unfortunately, this incident was not a singular event this summer; multiple cases of burns occurring in park campgrounds have been treated at the Yosemite Medical Clinic.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Partial-Thickness-Leg-Burns-in-Little-Yosemite-Valley.htm
avatar Re: Be careful with your stove
July 25, 2012 04:57PM
It's just not as safe in the backcountry as it is at home when I can wash them in boiling water in the sink instead.
July 26, 2012 01:54PM
I had a friend do that. Still can't figure out how he managed it. He did at least think to wipe the water off of his leg. I dumped cold water on it for several minutes but it still left a nasty burn all around the spot I applied 2nd skin to. The square where I applied the 2nd skin was not burned, the rest blistered. I'm going to have to carry more of it in my first aid kit from now on!
July 26, 2012 03:58PM
Hitech
The square where I applied the 2nd skin was not burned, the rest blistered. I'm going to have to carry more of it in my first aid kit from now on!

I had a woman with new boots on one of my backpacking trips. She went through every bit of 2nd Skin I had with me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login