Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Shortcut to lower Cathedraj Lk

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Shortcut to lower Cathedraj Lk
August 05, 2012 04:35PM
I know this has been answered elsewhere, I just can't find it. Where exactly is the shortcut trail to lower Cathedral lake off Tioga Rd. I know there are at least 2 turnouts over there. I;ve stopped in the turnouts last year but couldn't seem to find the trail.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
avatar Re: Shortcut to lower Cathedraj Lk
August 05, 2012 06:49PM
There are trails from at least two turnouts. I think at least one is marked with carabiner posts. Maybe this will help:

Some photos form that hike;
http://www.qitnl.com/v/082609/
Re: Shortcut to lower Cathedraj Lk
August 05, 2012 07:29PM
Thanks QINTL. Great photos. It looks like the hike I am planning. Is that going up the ridge between lower and upper Cathedral lks towards Trssider and Tenaya peaks? A year ago I went part way up that ridge comming back from somewhere else and ran out of time so this year I want to get to the top and follow it across.I know others have done it from reading other posts and it looks like a great hike.
avatar Re: Shortcut to lower Cathedraj Lk
August 05, 2012 08:44PM
Yes, I went up that ridge. I updated my photo so you can see the continuation of the hike. To the right is another fun hike, up Budd Creek to Cathedral Peak and Echo Peaks/Ridge.
August 05, 2012 08:53PM
Thanks again QITNL, I really appreciate the response!
I have been up to Echo peaks from Budd and followed the ridge all the way around to Matthes Crest to Cockscomb to Unicorn and back down to Elizebeth. Awsome hike!
August 06, 2012 08:41AM
Even though backcountry rangers patrolling the lakes prefer to use it just like Medlicott area climbers, it will never be added to any maps because it can be dangerous for novices or others that habitually don't bother to look at topos while they are actually on routes. That route wiggles around way more than those lines indicate and splits in places to reach various climbing walls. In places it does look like a trail and in others, especially in bedrock areas there are little signs of wear. Don't expect to see ducks as any are likely to have been booted. And one can get into class 3 at the crux by not knowing the correct route especially when going down. In dim light like at dusk finding the cliff drop off over the the ledge ramp is not obvious as a few spots look similar.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 08:47AM by DavidSenesac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login