Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Sitting pretty

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sitting pretty
September 24, 2012 08:33AM
On our last trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon (SEKI) we visited a few lakes that get a little more traffic than is usual in the backcountry. Every area deals with this in a different way, since that additional traffic has three major impacts on the wilderness experience. One of those is the toilet facilities. Too many backpackers can have a very ugly impact on a heavily used campsite area. So in a few places in the backcountry, you'll find a vault toilet. It's not exactly our idea of wilderness, but we understand the problem, and we don't have a better solution.

We were particularly taken with this toilet at Twin Lakes in SEKI. It was certainly not your traditional vault toilet, and M was quite sure she we never find it easy to use...but still; nice effort. And a lovely view from the throne.

It's good being the king!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 24, 2012 08:36AM
That is certainly an upgrade from one I found at Lake Edison. That was just a box over a hole in the ground. No fancy walls.... just trees.
September 24, 2012 01:02PM
Looks like a fine facility to me. grinning smiley
September 24, 2012 04:57PM
Dummies! That's where the bears do it. outhouse
Re: Sitting pretty
September 24, 2012 05:25PM
tomdisco
Dummies! That's where the bears do it. outhouse

Must be the mama bear's because she put the toilet seat back down.
September 24, 2012 07:37PM
In Yellowstone, and at Grand Canyon's Clear Creek area, they had composting toilets, big round giant plastic things w/ a seat at one point. And no screening. You got an upgrade.
Re: Sitting pretty
September 26, 2012 10:17AM

Best pit toilet...Boulder Pass, GNP.

And no, that's not my ass.

smiling smiley
September 26, 2012 11:42AM
Just as scenic, but with a little more privacy (in British Columbia):
September 26, 2012 02:10PM
I love this thread.

Ever since my Brother and I rented a Fire Lookout called Acker Rock in Southern Oregon about ten years ago, we have been on the lookout for "Loo's with a view", or exotic back country toilets. The toilet for the lookout was down a trail about 100 yards through the trees and out of view from the lookout. Like the others in your pictures, it's just a throne. But the view from the seat was amazing. You could see hundreds of square miles of forest and mountains. This is by far the best one I've been to.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login