Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Pate Valley Pics

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 25, 2012 09:34PM
With Monday off for a 3 day weekend, for some reason I decided to carry generous quantities of wine down into Pate Valley. Having arrived safely with my wine, I enjoyed a long weekend in a deep canyon. Somehow the climb out wasn't as bad as the descent.

Conditions...

I hiked in and out by Harden Lake. There's water, its clearly down, but its wet. The spring-fed water from there to the views around 6800' is flowing, mostly muddy, but with good water at the final one. Morrison Creek has only a trickle at the first close turn below the views, otherwise no flow. There's a few small stagnant pools where the trail crosses Morrison around 5600', otherwise no water until the river. The trail is clear, there had been major blowdown along the first switchbacks below Harden, trail crews have cleared it all. Some trees fell against tight switchbacks, some trees were cut at least three times as the trail crossed and recrossed the fallen (5 foot diameter) tree.

I saw one bear along the trail on the way out, this black bear was actually black! I heard another bear as I was crashing for the evening, I got up and yelled, didn't hear anything else, and nothing in my camp was disturbed. There was _lots_ of bear poop along the entire trail, and some backpackers clearly weren't watching out for the poop.

I parked by the Tioga Road because I was told the gate on the White Wolf road was supposed to close sometime Monday. Not sure if that happened, but it was still open when I left at 2. Caveat emptor.

Pictures.

Harden Lake:

Tuolumne River, Pate Valley. I rockhopped the river, and I saw squirrels doing so as well.

View into the valley:

September 25, 2012 10:20PM
OK. That's funny. I saw your car and thought "Who's the bozo who parked there?".
tongue sticking out smiley
Pretty sure even though they close the campground they USED to keep the darn
gate open until Oct. 15th.

It's quite possible I passed you on the trail. Right around 3:30pm on Sat.
If I looked irritated... well... 3rd bear was the charm... and Sat. night would
not include an air mattress or my usual fare of television.
Plus I was kinda tired already... and I knew I had a bit of rock hoping to do.
Pretty sure I did say "hello" though.

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 25, 2012 10:25PM
If that was in the valley, not too far from the bridges, then we did see each other, and you did say hello.
September 26, 2012 07:07AM
Two ships passing in the night, er-----day. Awsome. I thinks it's great when folks on these forums actually meet on the trails.
October 08, 2012 07:38PM
"Used to" seems to be key, the gate was closed when I drove by Saturday (10/6). And today.

It'd be nice if White Wolf Road were on the Yosemite NPS website road conditions list, I handle heat badly enough that I really wouldn't plan a mid-summer Pate Valley trip, late September seemed fine if a tad warmish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 07:39PM by ttilley.
October 08, 2012 09:00PM
I could be wrong too. Much appreciate the update.
I guess the road goes along the same lines at Tamarack, Yose Creek, etc.
Once the campground closes, the road soon, if not immediately, follows.
w/r to White Wolf there just isn't a whole lot of parking along the road and
it's popular enough to keep that gate open until Oct. 15th.
Logical reasoning sometimes doesn't prevail. Then again I wouldn't doubt
it's the old people can't follow the rules/read the signs so we get what
we get...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login