Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

This will have to do...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 24, 2012 12:34PM
For now anyway

I've reeeeeeally been meaning to get some photos from my summer of adventures uploaded to share with all of you. Clearly, that hasnt happened. So, have a look here

There are plenty from Yosemite and also the MR on Whitney. the resolution on some isnt that great since they were shared via my iphone, but hey, its something for you all to chew on for now.

What would you guys recommend as a good photo hosting site? I want to get the really great shots up for you guys and I have some time to spare.

Thanks a heap!

Matt
avatar Re: This will have to do...
November 24, 2012 01:26PM
The most robust solution is your own server and software. It may take a wee bit longer to set up but the effort is worth it - you own it. I could offer some suggestions if you're interested in this direction. Nice shots.
November 25, 2012 09:09AM
Wondering if this will work:

I use Picasa. I still own the shots and can delete them all if I want.
Big limitation I guess is the size of the photo. I'm really starting to dislike jpeg compression.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 25, 2012 04:26PM
chick-on
Wondering if this will work:

I use Picasa. I still own the shots and can delete them all if I want.
Big limitation I guess is the size of the photo. I'm really starting to dislike jpeg compression.

The Lembert Gremlin?
Re: This will have to do...
November 25, 2012 05:20PM
Yeti from "Rudolph the Red Nose Raindeer"?
November 26, 2012 10:31AM
Good example of compression artifacts in the sky. It's the abonimibonimonible snow man.
November 26, 2012 05:14PM
yosemitejim
Good example of compression artifacts in the sky. It's the abonimibonimonible snow man.

Just to be clear here. I wasn't talking about this particular image (which is nervousOne's Bumble)
(pretty sure that is what he said in his photos).
I was just talking in general. Do some editing of RAW file... save it in tif ... save it in jpg....
compare... and jpg is disappointing.

Love the aBumble-able Snowman

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 27, 2012 09:26PM
You can adjust the compression ration of JPEG files, and there's always a trade off between file size and image quality.
If you're seeing excessive artifacts maybe you need to reduce the compression. You'll have bigger files but . . .
November 25, 2012 06:39PM
i've always suspected that those lurk in the park.smiling smiley
Re: This will have to do...
November 25, 2012 08:34PM
nice shots. How long did that route take you at whitney round trip?
November 27, 2012 01:05PM
The problem with the JPEG compression scheme is that it allows data to be lost. You can typically control how much, but the compression scheme will loose data. The compression schemes used in TIFF (and most other) image formats does not allow data loss. JPEG is only useful when extreme compression is desirable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login