Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Happy Isle webcam, snow?!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Happy Isle webcam, snow?!
December 27, 2012 10:55AM
Re: Happy Isle webcam, snow?!
December 28, 2012 07:10AM
The snow is now longer visible like this. Any idea how there was this much in front of the cam? Miscreants?
avatar Re: Happy Isle webcam, snow?!
December 28, 2012 05:02PM
The current image does have snow blocking the lower 2/3 or so of the frame but also a few recognizable details in the background. The hut roof seems to have 6" to 8" of snow on it. There's probably some right in front of the camera, too.

Would the next person through the Happy Isles area please find the camera and take a picture of it? Even if the snow is gone by then, I'd like to see what's there for it to collect on. Thankee!
December 28, 2012 05:31PM
gophersnake
Would the next person through the Happy Isles area please find the camera and take a picture of it?

And brush the snow away from the lens?
December 28, 2012 09:18PM
eeek
gophersnake
Would the next person through the Happy Isles area please find the camera and take a picture of it?

And brush the snow away from the lens?

If they can do so without damaging the camera (etc.)

Sodden thought: if someone fell out of a tree while doing unauthorized snow-abatement on the camera, would they be charged for the rescue? winking smiley
December 28, 2012 09:01PM
That camera can pan around and regularly moves on some schedule.

Time Lapse for the Happy Isles webcam for Thursday December 27, 2012

brrrrr!!! looks cold what with ice on the edge of the river!
December 28, 2012 09:24PM
qumqats
That camera can pan around and regularly moves on some schedule.

Any idea what for? I know I have a few saved shots where it's pointing 30 or 45 degrees from it's usual angle. At first I thought it had been knocked out of position but soon afterwards, it was back to its normal view.

Picture, picture! I want to see how it moves and where that snow is, that sometimes blocks its view.
December 29, 2012 07:16AM
I never knew it moved, thanks for that time lapse. I watched a time lapse from the last time I was there, to see myself, last summer and didn't see it move.
December 29, 2012 08:34AM
I've seen 3 preset positions:
)wide angle looking at the old gage station and the bridge abutment
)closer in looking at just the bridge abutment
) about 120deg to the south/right looking upstream at the Merced river flowing over rocks. This is the one that is/was snowed over
December 29, 2012 01:54PM
Here's a time-lapse video from 2 days earlier. It occasionally shows the third view without snow in the way. What I mistook for the snowy roof of the hut is a big snow-covered boulder.

I was wondering if there was one camera that panned, or three preset cameras that they could select the feed from. A few of the shots in the time-lapse series do seem to have caught the camera moving, though.
December 30, 2012 08:08AM
I think the panning is something new. Can you access time lapses from summer 2011?
December 30, 2012 01:43PM
[redacted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 04:04PM by gophersnake.
January 31, 2013 05:07PM
hotrod4x5
I think the panning is something new.

The camera looks quite capable:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-DSC_3799.JPG.html
February 01, 2013 03:19PM
I've only watched a small number of time lapses from that cam, to see myself standing on the platform and it didn't pan those days.
January 31, 2013 08:57PM
hotrod4x5
I think the panning is something new. Can you access time lapses from summer 2011?

I have an archive of that camera that goes back to 2010/10/28 and it was panning on that day. It only appears to pan part of the year because there have been long periods of time where it's stationary.

timelapse - USGS Happy Isles Gage station Web Cam - Oct 28, 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login