Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Intersection

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 01, 2013 02:52PM
sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but one thing that drives me nuts about the road inside the valley, is that one 3 way intersection they have there. i see more near accidents every time i'm there. everyone thinks its a 4 way stop, and so they jump out in front of cars that don't have a stop sign. ... then those who don't have a stop sign, stop when they aren't suppose to, confusing everyone else. lol

if this is the way it has to be, i personally think they need to put up a sign that has some kind of warning about it, like "Traffic to your right does not stop", and another one that says "traffic to your left does not stop"... and i guess the 3rd stop sign needs one as well... " traffic facing you does not stop".

i know this may sound petty, but i kid you not, i've seen many near accidents.... especially when the road is icy and you can't stop in time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 03:18PM by forrestranger.
February 01, 2013 06:45PM
pretty sure there is already one there that says traffic on ur right does not stop ... lol

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 01, 2013 09:23PM
I know there is such a sign. All we need to do is to get people to read it. Visitors don't read signs.
February 01, 2013 09:30PM
If someone gets into an accident because they didn't see the sign can they be referred to DMV on the grounds that something must be wrong with their vision?
February 01, 2013 09:53PM
ttilley
If someone gets into an accident because they didn't see the sign can they be referred to DMV on the grounds that something must be wrong with their vision?

It's not the eye bones but rather the brain bone.

Old Dude
February 01, 2013 11:44PM
Dave

I know there is such a sign.

Yup...

February 02, 2013 01:03PM
plawrence
Dave

I know there is such a sign.

Yup...

Does this mean my other right, left, or my other left;--- I mean right? God, this is confusing. Why did they they give me a license?
Re: Intersection
February 03, 2013 07:35AM
plawrence

Am I the only one who can't figure out this photo? What is that thing between the stop sign and the one below it?
February 03, 2013 07:42AM
wherever
Am I the only one who can't figure out this photo? What is that thing between the stop sign and the one below it?
I'm not sure what it is but this appears to be a Google Street View photo (note the navigation circle that appears on the ground where the two white lines meet) and they're always blurring out things that they consider private information. Like you, I AM curious though: what on earth would be private about a posting on a STOP sign?!?!
February 03, 2013 09:28AM
I think it is a small sign pointing the way to the medical clinic.
February 04, 2013 08:28AM
It's a 3-way stop. The little sign below the Stop Sign says "3-Way"

And my original response was being gentle...

February 02, 2013 09:08AM
ah ha! so there IS one. lol i guess maybe its too small or something, because people STILL jump in front of traffic. maybe it should be larger?
February 02, 2013 09:24AM
It could be that they are too busy looking around to see the sign below the stop sign or are concentrating on getting where they want to go quickly and the sign does not register. Also could be that having the intersection as a 3 way stop not a 4 way stop does not make sense so people think it is a all stop. I have brought up that intersection being 3 way many times in comment phases but nothing is done.

IMO making that a 4 way intersection would help with traffic movement. I can't tell you how much time we have spent at that sign waiting for a break in the on going traffic and cars become backed up behind us.
February 02, 2013 10:24AM
Making it a 4 way would tie up traffic. The idea is to have traffic steadily flowing OUT of the Valley without any stops.... or as few as possible. Have you noticed there are no stop signs on the way out? That's why they want to put a big hole in the ground at Yosemite Falls instead of putting up a little stop sign or signal, or doing the right thing and putting the parking lot back where it was.
February 02, 2013 01:34PM
Agreed.

If they want to make it less confusing (and a less unusual configuration) the Park Service just ought to remove the stop sign on eastbound Northside Drive, and make it a traditional two-way stop (for Sentinel Drive) with the traffic in both directions of Northside Drive not having to stop.

The confusion is caused by the stop sign on eastbound Northside Drive. Drivers on Sentinel Drive see Northside Drive eastbound drivers stopping at the intersection and assume that westbound drivers have a stop sign too.
February 02, 2013 02:52PM
There is no confusion. There are only drivers not paying attention. You cannot blame the signs, or the Park Service for stupid drivers. The signs are just fine. They are placed right and big enough to see. The problem is the driver.
February 02, 2013 03:03PM
In theory, yes. But placing blame on the dumb drivers, while correct, won't solve the problem.

To make this intersection safer, while not adding to the already bad backups that can occur on Northside Drive, a practical solution would be just to remove the stop sign from eastbound Northside Drive. It's not really needed to begin with.

February 02, 2013 05:13PM
plawrence
In theory, yes. But placing blame on the dumb drivers, while correct, won't solve the problem.
No, not in theory, in reality. Nothing will solve the problem of inattentive, stupid, drivers. No matter what you do there will always be someone that just won't get it. You can't fix stupid.

To make this intersection safer, while not adding to the already bad backups that can occur on Northside Drive, a practical solution would be just to remove the stop sign from eastbound Northside Drive. It's not really needed to begin with..
It's safe as it is. I've not seen any accidents there.
February 06, 2013 10:25AM
At the Merced Wild River Plan webinar yesterday, the chief planner noted that this intersection will be changed under the preferred alternative, as she said in her own words "to avoid the confusion" that this intersection now causes.

In the preferred alternative, Northside Drive will be rerouted south of the reconfigured day-use parking area (Camp 6) so it will closer to the Merced river and its intersection with Sentinel Drive (this intersection would become a true "T" intersection. She didn't mention how many stops signs the new reconfigured intersection would have, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 10:55AM by plawrence.
February 02, 2013 03:47PM
parklover
IMO making that a 4 way intersection would help with traffic movement.

No it's 3-way for a reason. They don't want traffic backing up all the way to the previous stop sign.
February 02, 2013 03:45PM
forrestranger
ah ha! so there IS one. lol i guess maybe its too small or something, because people STILL jump in front of traffic. maybe it should be larger?

Yesterday I saw headlights here in my lane. When I got closer I found out a man parked his car parked in the oncoming traffic lane while his wife got out to take a picture. <sigh>
February 02, 2013 03:55PM
eeek

Yesterday I saw headlights here in my lane.

When I got closer I found out a man parked his car parked in the oncoming traffic lane while his wife got out to take a picture. <sigh>

Looking forward to your photos of your latest Yosemite visit when you get back home. wink

(BTW, usually at least once a year I drive past someone driving the wrong way on Northside Drive, usually between Camp 4 and El Cap Meadow.)

February 02, 2013 04:04PM
plawrence
(BTW, usually at least once a year I drive past someone driving the wrong way on Northside Drive, usually between Camp 4 and El Cap Meadow.)

There's always plenty of bike riders doing that despite the signs.
February 02, 2013 04:49PM
Bicyclists are exempt from all traffic laws (at least in their minds).
February 03, 2013 04:40AM
No not all traffic laws, only the inconvenient ones. If they are on a road that has the right-of-way, then they take it. If they are on a road approaching a stop sign or red light or are approaching a spot where they would be well-advised to use a hand signal, then they can't be inconvenienced.

Not all cyclists, but way too many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 04:41AM by JRinGeorgia.
February 03, 2013 09:26AM
That any bicyclist is following any traffic law is usually purely coincidental.

I have observed very few bicyclist through the years conscientiously trying to obey any traffic laws, with one exception. Some bicyclist do ride at night with a proper headlight on their bike along with the necessary reflectors. (But those are the exceptions that some might say prove the rule. wink )

February 02, 2013 04:56PM
plawrence
Looking forward to your photos of your latest Yosemite visit when you get back home. wink

Have a snow cone while you wait.

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/cm-dsc_3832.jpg.html
February 02, 2013 05:24PM
Thank you. It was delicious. Looking forward to more. smiling smiley
February 04, 2013 08:29AM
He should be able to do MUCH better than that!

The cone was very impressive. (the picture... not so much) tongue sticking out smiley

February 02, 2013 05:16PM
eeek
Yesterday I saw headlights here in my lane. When I got closer I found out a man parked his car parked in the oncoming traffic lane while his wife got out to take a picture. <sigh>

I see that all the time. No matter what, there will always be someone not using their brain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login