Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Rockslides Trail --> North Rim conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rockslides Trail --> North Rim conditions
February 22, 2013 09:56AM
At what point does the Rockslides trail across the North Rim become passable? I was looking to do a trip in April but suspect it might be a bit early considering snow conditions. Any knowledge on that?
Re: Rockslides Trail --> North Rim conditions
February 22, 2013 10:45AM
There was hardly any snow on Monday. Only a few patches on the north facing Pohono, although I only got as high as Inspiration. Y-Falls trail open all the way. According to ranger at 120 entrance, even 4-mile is open all the way to GP. Through my binocs, the Rockslides old road looked snow free from Arteest's Point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 10:46AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 22, 2013 10:53AM
That is incredible news! Thanks
February 22, 2013 01:23PM
When I was in the area Superbowl weekend the snow line was near Gentry's, which is maybe 1/4 mile below where the El Cap trail leaves the Old Big Oak Flat Road. Assuming this year is as dry as last year (which unfortunately seems to be the trend...), this report from April last year should give you some idea of the conditions you might experience. The trail from the OBOFR to El Cap is fairly well marked for snow travel with red metal "flags" nailed to trees.
avatar Re: Rockslides Trail --> North Rim conditions
February 25, 2013 07:10AM
Listen to bop. He's a smart bird.

My 2 cents is that Eagle Peak Meadow will almost invariably be a quadmire in April.
Be prepared for that. I have a photo of Eagle Peak meadow from a few weekends
ago... it's all snow... the trail to El Cap once beyond EP Creek was mostly clear
beleive it or not. It's always nice to have gone on a trail in free and clear conditions
before trying it in snow pack times. There are no markers from El Cap to
Yose Falls.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login