Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (92% of Full)

Advanced

Matterhorn Peak Route

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Matterhorn Peak Route
May 28, 2013 03:02PM
Doing a Northern Yosemite loop that takes me north over Burro Pass. I'm interested in going up Matterhorn Peak as a side trip but the details are a little sketchy on the route to take.

http://www.summitpost.org/southwest-slope-from-burro-pass/157502 says:

From Burro Pass, head east around/over a small rock outcropping (shown on the USGS 7.5' topo) and ascend granite slabs towards the broad gully leading down from the low point along the ridge just south of the summit. Occasional ducks show the approximate route near these slabs, but the route is easy enough to find without religiously following them...

I saw a trip report saying the route to take is about 600 ft' below (and south of) the pass but on the topo, I'm not making out any sort of rock outcropping, so a bit confused.

Anyone have more specific directions, gps track or map plot of the route?

Regards,

-chris
avatar Re: Matterhorn Peak Route
May 28, 2013 04:14PM
It's pretty obvious/easy once you get there. Here are some photos starting around Burro Pass:
http://www.qitnl.com/v/091110/?g2_page=4

This is the "broad gully" you follow - the notch is the "low point just south of the summit" - there you hang a left and cruise to the top.

I just put a GPS map at the end of the set:
http://www.qitnl.com/d/28986-3/matterhorn-gps-1.jpg
I went up from Burro Pass and out Horse Creek.
May 28, 2013 04:34PM
Went up there iirc around 2001 ... long before everything was on the internet.
Got to Burro. Said to wifie and Z Old Dood... "wait here... I'll be right back"
followed ridge all the way to the top... maybe 1 class 3+ section there...
lots of great rock to climb... nothing greatly difficult...
came back down the ridge and then the gully... scree skiing / screaming down...
Highly recommend up the ridge all the way... I really hate hiking up scree ca-rap.

That's what I remember. Was too lazy and too many mosquitos when was at the pass last year.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Matterhorn Peak Route
May 30, 2013 09:09AM
Thanks all! Route finding is not my forte.
May 29, 2013 02:03AM
Tonight I was looking at Mt. Davis. Somewhat similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2013 04:21AM by QITNL.
May 29, 2013 06:50AM
Uh. Saw your original post...
Not sure why it was said. I was just giving my thoughts on it and my stupid little story.
Another route up that that is pretty fun.
I'm not all that. imho if I can do it I feel that pretty much everybody else can.

cjoz,
Without question most simply start from Matterhorn Canyon itself and work their way up.
Secor gives it about one sentence. Class 2. Work your way up gully just S of summit.
Something like that.
It looks like this:

Have fun. Awesome views up there.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 29, 2013 06:47AM
That picture of the peak says it all, but you might also check out the book, The Dharma Bums for a fun description and story involving Matterhorn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login