Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Wi Fi in Yosemite Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wi Fi in Yosemite Valley
February 03, 2011 09:49AM
I did a search and didn't get any results for this topic...does Yosemite Valley have free Wi Fi anywhere? I've used my sis' laptop and had to pay for service at the Yosemite Lodge when I had to make some reservations a few years back. That's all I know of.
avatar Re: Wi Fi in Yosemite Valley
February 03, 2011 10:46AM
http://www.yosemitepark.com/internet-cell.aspx

Yosemite Lodge used to have up to 7 days and 7 logins for $5.95. I was given an invalid login code, so the desk clerk just gave me two more and said that if I had a problem I should just go back to the desk and ask for more. It's now $5.95 for just 24 hours.

There's word that Curry Village has free WiFi accessible in the lobby area.
Re: Wi Fi in Yosemite Valley
February 03, 2011 10:50AM
When I was in the Curry Village lounge, I got no signal, so maybe, as YPW says it only works in the lobby, which doesn't really have any seating inside.
February 03, 2011 12:19PM
I and many others had good wi-fi in the Curry lounge bldg around Thanksgiving. Very nice toasting my toes by the fire, sipping an adult beverage(is that allowed?), and wi-fi; what more could one ask for?
February 03, 2011 12:43PM
Strix
I and many others had good wi-fi in the Curry lounge bldg around Thanksgiving. Very nice toasting my toes by the fire, sipping an adult beverage(is that allowed?), and wi-fi; what more could one ask for?
I've eaten and drank in there, don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. I don't know about the wifi, when we were there in Dec there was no signal at all. I didn't know about it, so I didn't think to ask at the desk if it needed to be rebooted or something.
February 05, 2011 09:36AM
Yup eye der now smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 04, 2011 09:36AM
I wuz just curious...

That lounge at Curry is nice...especially on quiet evening, in the middle of a big storm (like we experienced last winter.)

Another "do you remember when"...back in the late 70's, early 80's the lounge at Yosemite lodge (now the Mountain Room Bar and conference center) was the happening place. Filled to capacity, lots of beer drinking, backgammon playing and climbing of the walls...great vibe and energy, but I guess, a little too rowdy.
February 04, 2011 10:28PM
hikerchick395
I wuz just curious...

That lounge at Curry is nice...especially on quiet evening, in the middle of a big storm (like we experienced last winter.)

Another "do you remember when"...back in the late 70's, early 80's the lounge at Yosemite lodge (now the Mountain Room Bar and conference center) was the happening place. Filled to capacity, lots of beer drinking, backgammon playing and climbing of the walls...great vibe and energy, but I guess, a little too rowdy.

No, I don't remember that, but several times after work I've taken my backgammon board to the lounge at Curry and there's always someone that will play a game or two.
February 05, 2011 06:31AM
Be careful about the puzzles in the Curry Lounge, I think most of them are missing pieces. My buddy and I tried putting one together, one with the words "Vernal Falls, Yosemite National Park" in the corner and we never could find all the pieces to spell the letters.
February 05, 2011 03:21AM
February 05, 2011 04:18PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but one thing I love about the backcountry is that my iphone doesn't get reception, there's no wifi and I don't have to deal with emails. Its such a nice break from things...
February 05, 2011 05:17PM
oakroscoe
I guess I'm in the minority here, but one thing I love about the backcountry is that my iphone doesn't get reception, there's no wifi and I don't have to deal with emails. Its such a nice break from things...

Depends on where you are. I remember finding a spot in a fairly crowded location (near the junction of Clouds Rest Trail and John Muir Trail) next to a group of Boy Scouts. I was woken by a kid talking to his folks. I had my phone with me, and I called in a bear sighting later that morning. I don't believe there was a good "line of sight" path to the cell tower in the Valley, but signal strength was still pretty good.
March 27, 2011 01:16AM
I remember both Curry Village and Ahwahnee had wifi. I had a 3G data card for my laptop but it didn't work in the valley, as well as any data on my smart phone. It appears we only get the bare minimum voice calls for mobile phones.
February 05, 2011 06:37PM
oakroscoe

No, I'm the minority. I don't own a cell phone.thumbs up
February 06, 2011 08:52AM
Dave
oakroscoe

Alas you are not alone Davey. (btw... I think we can a more approp. name for "that" dome is Llama Dome)

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 06, 2011 10:26PM
chick-on
Dave

Alas you are not alone Davey. (btw... I think we can a more approp. name for "that" dome is Llama Dome)

We're going to have to plan a hike there this spring.
April 02, 2011 11:03AM
I can get wifi in Curry Village and Alawahanee (mispell?) too.
April 04, 2011 02:49PM
They were password protected the last time I was there. Ask the staff.
July 06, 2013 12:04PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, I thought it might help people.

I was in Curry Village in 2011 and the wifi in the lounge was great. I love the vibe in the late in the evenings, when people are recounting their days hiking over beers. People sat around playing cards, reading, or using the wifi to keep in touch with friends and family back home.

I liked using the wifi to make people back home jealous, with all my photos I had taken during the day.

And then, late at night, fire up the head torch and stumble back to cabin.

However, I am there now, and the wifi has been the worst I have ever used. I would go as far as to say, they DO NOT have internet access in the lounge anymore. The router can only handle a very limited amount of connections, so your chancrs of being able to get on are very, very limited.

I managed to get on at 5am this morning, as I was the only user (luckily my body is on UK time still) but by 8am, is was finished. No more internet. It was still painfully slow though, it took 30 mins to download a 7mb map.

I managed to get a connection at 10pm a few nights ago, but was then thrown out of the lounge as apparently they now close it at 10pm, which is a real shame as the place was being really well used.

As a guy travelling over from the uk, on my own, being able to keep in touch would be really nice.

Bit of a slide since 2011. Shame, but I guess that's progress.

Steve
July 06, 2013 02:54PM
That's too bad. When I was there in early December the Curry Village lodge was closed but the wifi worked great, while I sat on the porch trying to dry out.

Of course, I was the only one connected...
July 06, 2013 02:54PM
I stayed in Yosemite Lodge this winter and the WiFi is free for guests and worked great. Daughter was able to post photos immediately and keep in touch with friends.

As for as cell phone: I had a pretty good Verizon connection in the parking lot of Tuolumne Lodge. Don't know about any other area since I leave the cell phone behind on hikes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login