Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Backpackers Get Lost Near Ten Lakes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Backpackers Get Lost Near Ten Lakes
July 24, 2013 08:34PM
On Sunday, June 23, 2013, two friends, ages 40 and 38, set off an overnight backpacking trip at the Ten Lakes trailhead. Their destination for the night was one of the Ten Lakes, a six-mile hike. Of the pair, one lives in the Yosemite area and has some limited backpacking experience in the park, while the other had never before been on an overnight backpacking trip. Neither hiker had ever been on the Ten Lakes Trail. The local backpacker brought along a full-park topographic map (scale 1:80,000) that, though it included the area they would be hiking in, was not detailed enough for finding their way if they were to lose the trail. The local backpacker also was relying on his cell phone’s compass for any navigation the pair might need to do.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Backpackers-Get-Lost-Near-Ten-Lakes.htm
Re: Backpackers Get Lost Near Ten Lakes
July 25, 2013 08:24AM
This does not surprise me. Last summer while hiking the GCTR, we passed a young couple on the switchbacks heading from White Wolf down towards Pate V. He had Vans shoes and she had a thin canvas street shoe. They only carried a small bottle of water each. They said they wanted to go look at the Tuolumne River. I told them it was a hard day hike with only a few ounces of water. We offered to top them up from our water and to look for us if they make it to Pate Valley for more water and food, they declined, they were used to putting in the miles on the streets of San Francisco . I am sure they eventually turned around but I bet they were parched when they got back to White Wolf. For some people, the city is just too close to the wilderness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login