Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Grouse Lakes Roadless Area Pictures

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Grouse Lakes Roadless Area Pictures
October 08, 2013 07:21PM
As mentioned before, I spent the weekend in the Grouse Lakes Roadless Area, which is north of CA-20 and east of Bowman Lake Road. Tahoe NF, so no permit requirement and (as USFS land) the trailhead is open (the nearby campground isn't). I hiked from the Grouse Ridge trailhead - the road's a bit rough but is maintained and I saw a Prius up there, so unless you have something completely incapable like a Corvette you should be OK. If the road concerns you, then the Carr Lake trailhead is also an option (rough dirt as well, but considerably shorter stretch).

I hiked to the Five Lakes Basin (not to be confused with the lakes of the same name off of the Alpine Meadows Road in Tahoe). Hiking to Glacier Lake involves well-maintained trail. From there to five lakes - ignore what the Trails[sic] Illustrated map says, it's cross-country (ignore, as well, the partial spur "trail" the USGS map shows) (but overall TI is closer than USGS regarding the actual location of trails here).

Much of the northern Sierra rock is volcanic, but there's plenty of granite goodness in the Five Lakes Basin.

Regarding questions others have asked...I'd add this to the list of 'backpacking newbie introduction' areas (at least, to Glacier Lake, not the x-country to Five Lakes), trails are in decent shape, elevation changes are mild, distances aren't that great.

Pics...

View of Island and Feely Lakes from trailhead:

Blueberry plants in fall color:

Glacier Lake. I assume plenty of Boy Scout groups camp here, there's a large collection of camping areas where the trail reaches a view of the lake, and the trail signs in the area have small markers indicating that they were from an Eagle Scout project (I think it was Troop 66 in Davis, CA). There are other campsites around the lake, though.

View into the Five Lakes Basin:

One of the lakes, Black Buttes in background...

Camped at this lake...

View from campsite:

Re: Grouse Lakes Roadless Area Pictures
October 09, 2013 08:29AM
Lovely stuff. We always suggest this to people who are looking for a nice place for a first backpacking trip---there are so many lakes it's hard to choose, and they are all within an easy hike of each other.

plus, if you start at Grouse Ridge, you carry your heaviest pack downhill....and only have to climb back to the car with a more or less empty pack!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Re: Grouse Lakes Roadless Area Pictures
October 09, 2013 06:41PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics and thoughts. Good place to keep in mind thumbs up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login