Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

DWP solar proposal could have affects on Manzanar

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar DWP solar proposal could have affects on Manzanar
October 31, 2013 08:49PM
A Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) proposal to construct a Southern Owens Valley Solar Ranch on 1,200 acres on the north side of Manzanar Reward Road and east of the Owens River has Inyo County residents up in arms.

http://thesheetnews.com/2013/08/14/dwp-solar-proposal-could-have-affects-on-manzanar/
Re: DWP solar proposal could have affects on Manzanar
November 01, 2013 11:58AM
Hmmm? Read the Inyo article on protests. Complaining about how it will detract from Manzanar views is hardly credible since it is not someplace along the Eastern Sierra people visit for scenery. Considerable historic value yes. But if I was a local landowner maybe interested in how that industrial facility might affect my land values due to views, yeah I can understand that angle. Since the land is government owned LADWP land, and I would like to see expansion of alternative energy if done considerately where it makes sense to, I don't have much sympathy.

Manzanar is right along the west side of multilane US395 with a small airport on the east side of the highway. There are old dirt roads all over that area. More likely the protests are about the ongoing war of environmental organizations against all desert solar farms in the southwest. Rather ironic. Unless solar is built on top of buildings or already developed land they do not want to see it so will try and use any legal monkeywrench to prevent development. Despite the fact vast areas of desert in both Arizona and California have already been set aside for parks and wilderness. Certainly I would like to see even more lands set aside. But on the other hand do not have an issue with siting on some otherwise to this point undeveloped lands because it ought to be somewhere out there as the desert is where the sun shines best. Same feeling for desert wind farms that tend to bring out endless protests about bird deaths even though there are far more deaths caused by other manmade sources. Most of the solar farm companies are large energy corps that environmentalist lawyers have come to hate. I don't trust either of them to come up with considerate pragmatic solutions which is why the rest of us ought to be involved. Diane Feinstein introduced legislation in 2009 that takes just that kind of balanced approach. However one can expect locals wherever plants are built and more extreme elements will continue to complain.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=b3a780d4-5056-8059-7606-3936a2f7945f

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 12:01PM by DavidSenesac.
November 01, 2013 05:42PM
Is there no place that just can't be left alone anymore? What's wrong with just open spaces? These solar and wind projects are bigger blights on the landscape than gas and oil wells.
avatar Re: DWP solar proposal could have affects on Manzanar
November 01, 2013 06:25PM
Mom
Is there no place that just can't be left alone anymore? What's wrong with just open spaces? These solar and wind projects are bigger blights on the landscape than gas and oil wells.
But far better than a new nuclear plant. If you don't want all these wind and solar projects, then start conserving energy and get others to do so. Just by tossing out all those plug in air fresheners we could probably get rid of one coal fired plant. Buying a million, or more, new refridgerators and giving them to people would save more energy than building a new nuclear plant - and cost less.
November 01, 2013 06:26PM
Dave
Just by tossing out all those plug in air fresheners we could probably get rid of one coal fired plant.

And a lot of obnoxious smells!
November 02, 2013 01:23PM
Mom

Sure. Those would be lands that are designated for that purpose.

Are you saying that you advocate that a group of people could get together and take your property, or the use of your property, away from you against your will?
November 01, 2013 05:53PM
November 05, 2013 07:14AM
I find it ironic that some of the same "Inyo Residents" who object to this, are the same folks that successfully fought Manzanar being a National Park/Monument.

They really hated the plaque that at the entrance.

"Bill Michael, a former director of the Eastern California Museum in Independence during the time Manzanar was being proposed as a park, said Owens Valley residents embittered by the plaque’s wording had a say of showing their indignation. “That was the spot where they would stop and urinate,” Michael said."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login