Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?
November 12, 2013 05:12PM
I'm planning on driving up to Tioga Pass from Big Oak Flat Rd very early tomorrow morning. I've got the tire chains just in case the weather turns, but have never driven into the park in November. The forecasted low is about 27 F, should I expect icy or dangerous driving conditions in the pass?
avatar Re: Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?
November 12, 2013 05:26PM
SonoraSierra
I'm planning on driving up to Tioga Pass from Big Oak Flat Rd very early tomorrow morning. I've got the tire chains just in case the weather turns, but have never driven into the park in November. The forecasted low is about 27 F, should I expect icy or dangerous driving conditions in the pass?

You could run into some ice. But it's not usually much of a problem inside the park. The most likely place, from my experience, would be on the road to the east.
Re: Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?
November 12, 2013 05:55PM
Thanks for the quick response. The road to the east? Are you referring to the descent from Tioga Pass heading east on 120?
I plan on parking at Mono Pass trailhead, so hopefully I won't encounter any ice on the western side of the crest.
avatar Re: Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?
November 12, 2013 07:38PM
SonoraSierra
Thanks for the quick response. The road to the east? Are you referring to the descent from Tioga Pass heading east on 120?

Exactly.

I plan on parking at Mono Pass trailhead, so hopefully I won't encounter any ice on the western side of the crest.

That will most likely be fine. But be careful anyway.
Re: Tioga Pass driving conditions. Icy?
November 12, 2013 11:25PM
Drove it yesterday. Clear, a few very small patches of ice near Touloumne Meadows. No problemo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login