Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Best way to upper pines CG for mid next week..

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Best way to upper pines CG for mid next week..
November 22, 2013 11:14AM
So, we're supposed to be at upper pines mid-week.. Is there a preferred way into the park (east vs west,etc)?

Also, are there any nice (but not too long) hiking trails that would be good to see the area and are ok for dogs? I've not yet looked for the dogs on trails regulations -- ours is very small but I realize leash is required, pickup any crap,etc.. My wife has two new hips and ensurance for a long trek is out but a short one or two would be nice..

Also, any ideas on whether there's any snow in the valley yet? I didn't see anything called out specifically..

Thanks in advance!!
avatar Re: Best way to upper pines CG for mid next week..
November 22, 2013 11:27AM
rickf
Is there a preferred way into the park (east vs west,etc)?

East as in Tioga Pass? It's closed:

SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO 5 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 /TIOGA PASS/
(TUOLUMNE, MONO CO) - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE
ROUTE
Re: Best way to upper pines CG for mid next week..
November 22, 2013 11:36AM
Assuming they don't reopen Tioga Pass next week, you can only enter from the west, either highway 120, 140 or 41. So depending on where you are coming from, I would take the most direct route. The only variation on this is if a storm is forecasted, it might be easier to 140 as it is at a lower elevation and much less affected by snow.

With a dog you are rather limited for hikes, pretty much just paved trails and roads on the valley floor. For more information see: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

You could walk up to Mirror Lake (1 mi, mostly flat with a 200 ft gain at the end). The lake will be mostly dry at this time of year, but you are right below the face of half dome and have great views of Tenaya Canyon.

Otherwise do sections, or the entire, valley bike loop. I think the full loop is ~ 7 miles, but you can break it up into much shorter sections. For great views of the valley and yosemite falls, finally running again!, do the section(s) by swinging bridge, the chapel and cooks meadow. You can even combine that with the walk to lower yosemite falls. For this one you can start right at the visitor center and altogether is about 2 miles.

No snow yet in the valley.
November 22, 2013 11:43AM
buster
Assuming they don't reopen Tioga Pass next week, you can only enter from the west, either highway 120, 140 or 41. So depending on where you are coming from, I would take the most direct route. The only variation on this is if a storm is forecasted, it might be easier to 140 as it is at a lower elevation and much less affected by snow.

With a dog you are rather limited for hikes, pretty much just paved trails and roads on the valley floor. For more information see: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

You could walk up to Mirror Lake (1 mi, mostly flat with a 200 ft gain at the end). The lake will be mostly dry at this time of year, but you are right below the face of half dome and have great views of Tenaya Canyon.

Otherwise do sections, or the entire, valley bike loop. I think the full loop is ~ 7 miles, but you can break it up into much shorter sections. For great views of the valley and yosemite falls, finally running again!, do the section(s) by swinging bridge, the chapel and cooks meadow. You can even combine that with the walk to lower yosemite falls. For this one you can start right at the visitor center and altogether is about 2 miles.

Thanks! Sounds like great hikes to checkout!! We might have to find a way to put some bikes on the RV!!
December 10, 2013 11:45AM
rickf
buster

Thanks! Sounds like great hikes to checkout!! We might have to find a way to put some bikes on the RV!!
I took my bikes to Yosemite in April once. I totally forgot about the windchill factor. Burr it gets extra cold when cold air is blowing in your face at bike speeds! Bundle up.
December 10, 2013 04:59PM
You are so right. We have taken our bikes in December and it got a bit nippy riding. Also had to watch for ice on the bike path.
November 22, 2013 11:41AM
Thanks Eeek!.. I guess, unless things changes, I'll probably head up SR 140 from the west side.. The current claim is that it's wide open to the valley..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login