Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (94% of Full)

Advanced

snowshoes?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

snowshoes?
February 11, 2014 10:09AM
Hi, All,

I'll be visiting Yosemite for the first time over this weekend and into next week (can't wait). Key question: should I bring my snowshoes to hike? I keep reading about how there's essentially no snow this year.

Thanks!
Re: snowshoes?
February 11, 2014 10:27AM
Depends where you are hiking. Unless there is a big melt in the next few days, the trails from Badger and Glacier point are opened for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. EDIT: I am one of those when in doubt take it if you have room. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a debate to take something and didn't and it ended up I could have used it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 10:30AM by parklover.
February 11, 2014 01:26PM
Yes, there's snow in Yosemite National Park and there's probably plenty of snow-shoeing opportunities up around Badger Pass and Crane Flat is you choose to partake in them.

You won't need them within Yosemite Valley itself, though.

February 11, 2014 03:33PM
One more thing I'll add...

Though you won't need snowshoes while within Yosemite Valley, many paths and trail inside Yosemite Valley do get very icy and slippery during this time of year. Hence, I would highly recommend that you pack some traction cleats for snow and ice like Yaktrax or Stabilicers along with your other winter clothing and gear.

Amazon.com: Yaktrax

Amazon.com: Stabilicers

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 03:40PM by plawrence.
February 11, 2014 07:46PM
Bring your snowshoes. Bring your gaiters. Even if the snow doesn't require snowshoes you will want your gaiters on to keep the snow off the top of your boot's laces. This will keep your feet dry. There is snow.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 07:47PM by mrcondron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login