Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Stoneman house in Curry Village

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Stoneman house in Curry Village
June 14, 2013 12:46PM
I was just wondering if I have chance to book one or another,which one would be best to get at Curry Village? Stoneman house or Cabin?
Re: Stoneman house in Curry Village
June 14, 2013 01:02PM
IMHO, the cabins with bath are in a superior location--Stoneman is right in front of the tour bus loading area.
June 14, 2013 04:02PM
In my experience, neither comes up as available very often, so take what you can get (with bath).

Mother Curry's cottage, which is behind the Stoneman House, is really nice, but I've only gotten it once. I'm not sure that it is still in the rental pool...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 04:03PM by wherever.
June 16, 2013 11:04AM
The rooms at the stoneman house looked pretty nice the last time I took a peek.
January 31, 2014 12:23PM
I booked a room in Stoneman for next weekend, I will report back on the accommodations. Did you book something?
avatar Re: Stoneman house in Curry Village
February 06, 2014 11:33AM
Most of rooms in Stoneman are similar to the "Standard" rooms at the Yosemite Lodge, but with no phone (and the last time I stayed there, no TV) and they are also a bit smaller. There are one or two "Family Rooms" at Stoneman with a second story loft which is nice, though.

The biggest advantage of staying at the Stoneman in Curry Village is that you're close to parking, the shuttle buses and most of the central facilities. In the winter, that's a big bonus. In the summer, you might want to be farther away from the buses and crowds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 10:12PM by plawrence.
February 06, 2014 05:45PM
One suggestion that I have is if they assign you a room that is on the side closest to the check in building, see if you can be moved. The one time we had one in the front at that end, people going to the shuttle or to reservations were walking right past our room and is was noisy. We once had a room in the back and towards the right side of the building and it was much quieter.
February 06, 2014 06:33PM
parklover
One suggestion that I have is if they assign you a room that is on the side closest to the check in building, see if you can be moved. The one time we had one in the front at that end, people going to the shuttle or to reservations were walking right past our room and is was noisy. We once had a room in the back and towards the right side of the building and it was much quieter.

Thanks for that suggestion!
February 17, 2014 08:31AM
We just spent 3 nights in room 809 of the Stoneman house. It was a very nice room, albeit a bit tight with all the furnishings. The room is on the western side of the building, with a large window.

The good: Very nice "woodsy" style furnishings, including nice beds with headboards and foot boards made of whole pieces of wood with bark still on and very good mattresses, an over stuffed chair to match and dresser and night stand with clock radio. Ample supply of body wash and shampoo in a bulk, pump style dispenser. More than enough towels, in fact, more than we needed, I think I counted 6-7 bath towels with wash cloths and hand towels to match, which by the way were not your typical cheap motel towels, they were thick and very nice to use. The room appeared to have been painted recently, maybe in the last couple years and the carpet was clean and also seemed fairly new. There were several provided fans as well as a ceiling fan that you probably need in summer, since the room has no AC. There was an extra pillow and two extra blankets in the closet area as well as a large Rubbermaid tub that I am not really sure what we were supposed to use it for, but it was there.

The bad: As I mentioned, the rooms are small, and it was a tight squeeze to get the rolling ice chest through the door and past the bed and dresser. The room mainly felt small near the beds, there is a larger open area near the sink and under the stairs which lead to the loft where a third full sized bed was found. The door to the toilet/shower room opened inward, requiring an odd sort of dance to get to the toilet since the room is long and narrow. You almost have to enter the shower, then close the door, then access the toilet. The room heater, located under the window, doesn't have a lot of power and you definitely need PJs and blankets at night.

The price was as expected for Yosemite DNC motels, $110 a night for Sunday-Tues in Feb 2014. (I have already checked on next year, same week and it is going up $18 a night)

We will definitely stay there again and have made plans to make this an annual Feb family trip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 09:03AM by hotrod4x5.
February 17, 2014 07:17PM
Glad to hear the it worked out for you. Yes, the rooms are tight but how much time do you really spend inside when you are in Yosemite.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login