Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Reds Meadow Road To Open May 23

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Reds Meadow Road To Open May 23
May 23, 2014 04:55PM
The Reds Meadow Road will open on Friday, May 23rd at 3 p.m. This weeks’ weather has hampered crew efforts to patch potholes and make repairs to water and sewer systems. Crews may have to continue this work in the following week; however the road will be open this weekend.

The Reds Meadow area is a popular recreation destination for visitors and locals alike and provides access to the Devils Postpile National Monument, trailheads that access the John Muir Trail and destinations such as Agnew Meadow, Thousand Island Lakes, Rainbow Falls, and the Minarets. Fishing, camping, horseback riding, and the Reds Meadow Resort are also popular with visitors. Employees with the Inyo National Forest and Devils Postpile National Monument have been working to clear snow and trees from roads, trails, and campgrounds as well as repairing potholes, and ensuring that water and sewer systms are in working order.

The Devils Postpile National Monument will open with the opening of the road. Potable water and flush toilets will be available.

Camping opportunties will be available in the Reds Meadow Valley through the US Forest Service. Devils Postpile Campground is anticipated to open on June 20 and be open until early to mid September.

The mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle Bus will run for Memorial Day weekend, weather permitting. Only exception vehicles will be allowed to drive into the Reds Meadow Valley. After Memorial Day weekend, the mandatory shuttle bus will not resume operation until June 14.

The roads in the Reds Meadow Valley are narrow and visibility is limited. All vehicles should use caution on both the Reds Meadow and Devils Postpile roads. For more information about Devils Postpile National Monument, visit nps.gov/depo, or contact Devils Postpile at 760-934-2289 or at depo_visitor_information@nps.gov.

Although California is experiencing a drought, late –season storms have brought snow to the Sierra. Visitors should still anticipate seeing snow and ice on the trails and the lakes just above 10,000 feet in elevation, especially on the north-facing slopes.
Re: Reds Meadow Road To Open May 23
May 24, 2014 10:15AM
Dropped my ex-ranger, regular hiking buddy off yesterday (Friday) at Agnew Meadows TH - road opened 2:43 PM - lots of cars lined up waiting. Signage says Reds Meadow only camp ground open down there till June 13. Devils PP sign says closed too...roads are clear - still 95% snow at the very top - no snow bottom, and mosquitos heavy in marshy areas below.
I was supposed to join him - 10 days out to Garnet, 1000 Island, and hopefully up to Lost Lake fishing... that was the plan anyway but, alas a root canal/crown keeps me stuck in Mammoth till May 30.

Wednesday we drove up Rock Creek up to Mosquito Flats...100 % snow coverage at Mosquito Flats TH (10,300). Fishing spotty at Rock Creek Lake (~9500) which is 100% open.

When doing another warm-up hike Thursday up to Mammoth Lakes' old Gold mines - BTW - heavy snow and hail Thursday - we met an early PCT hiker camping... (first one seen). As he was heading out soon, we told him we wanted some beta on 1000 Island Lake - (if still frozen? ) and, as you get cell phone reception at Island Pass, we got a call from him noon yesterday saying 1000 Island Lake still 99% covered over.

BTW, After I dropped off my buddy, I fished Sotcher Lake... stocked with hungry 14 inchers and nobody else there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login