Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Dark Hole Fire Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 29, 2014 10:17AM
(37 48.323 x 119 36.786, Mariposa Co. 7400’, July 16.)

This fire has grown to approximately 11 acres. It is within a red fir forest and it is the largest and most active of all the park-wide fires. It is located near the Yosemite Creek trail about a mile south of the Yosemite Creek campground. It is in an area of past lightning fires, although the immediate area has no fire history. Smoke is visible from Tioga Road east of Yosemite Creek, and from Sentinel Dome and Glacier Point. Hazards may include smoky conditions and poor visibility, rolling rocks and logs. There is one trail closure: The Lukens trail to Yosemite Creek trail is closed between Tioga Road and Yosemite Creek Campground Road and Trail. The Yosemite Creek Tail remains open. To avoid smoke and other hazards, hikers are urged to pass through the area quickly.
avatar Re: Dark Hole Fire Update
July 29, 2014 03:23PM
Here's the location of the Dark Hole Fire.

Note that it's actually about 3 miles SOUTH of the historic Dark Hole Meadow (that Old Tioga Road went by) and that this fire is named after.

Re: Dark Hole Fire Update
July 29, 2014 03:36PM
Any update on containment? Was really hoping for a night hike during the Super Moon in August from Yosemite Creek Campground to the Valley Rim (possibly to Yosemite Point).
I dont see any updates on the NPS website.
avatar Re: Dark Hole Fire Update
July 29, 2014 04:01PM
I think they're just monitoring the Dark Hole fire and not trying to put it out so it can naturally reduce the fuel load in that area. Similar to what they did with the Forbidden fire last year.

Re: Dark Hole Fire Update
July 31, 2014 01:04AM
Thanks. I'll try to figure out other plans. Maybe North Dome from Porcupine Flat?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login