Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Sawmill walk-in campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sawmill walk-in campground
July 13, 2015 02:11PM
Anyone know what time this campground tends to fill up on Fridays? Thanks!
avatar Re: Sawmill walk-in campground
July 13, 2015 07:17PM
One of my favorite campgrounds in the Sierra!

Friday in midsummer...I would be glad to get a spot. Get there early and consider Saddlebag Lake as a backup.
Re: Sawmill walk-in campground
July 14, 2015 10:25AM
Thanks... yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Does Saddlebag Lake campground typically not fill up?

Also wondering if as a last resort we could pull off the road to Saddlebag Lake and pitch a couple tents in the woods. It's National Forest land, right?
avatar Re: Sawmill walk-in campground
July 14, 2015 11:58AM
oso101
Thanks... yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Does Saddlebag Lake campground typically not fill up?

Also wondering if as a last resort we could pull off the road to Saddlebag Lake and pitch a couple tents in the woods. It's National Forest land, right?

No. That's a restricted use area where dispersed camping is not allowed. Along the Tioga Pass Road portion of Hwy 120 (Hwy 120 west of Hwy 395) and along Saddlebag Lake Road dispersed camping is not allowed. An Inyo NF map should show the specific areas where you could dispersed camp.

Note due to fire restrictions this year, no campfires (or any sort of wood or charcoal briquettes fires) are allowed in dispersed campsites within the Inyo National Forest. Portable stoves fueled by gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are still allowed with a valid campfire permit.

Re: Sawmill walk-in campground
July 14, 2015 02:51PM
Thanks, that's really good to know.

Doesn't matter for next weekend, though, because we just scored a last minute reservation at TM. We'll be putting a couple tents in an RV/non-electric site - not as quiet & scenic as Sawmill, but it's a campsite!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login