Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Mist Trail Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 29, 2016 12:38PM
The Mist Trail to the top of Vernal Fall is open. The John Muir Trail between Clark Point and near the top of Nevada Fall ("Ice Cut"winking smiley is still closed.
Re: Mist Trail Update
March 10, 2016 08:58PM
eeek
The Mist Trail to the top of Vernal Fall is open. The John Muir Trail between Clark Point and near the top of Nevada Fall ("Ice Cut"winking smiley is still closed.
Does it usually open this early?
March 11, 2016 06:49AM
hotrod4x5
eeek
Does it usually open this early?

No. It was a) really warm and b) really dry... for a long time (i.e. pretty much all of February)

With global warming/climate change/hocus pocus/chick-on focus ... it seems to becoming
the norm... but typically... it's too cold (it's still WINTER darnit) ... and there is ice buildup
on the trail... i.e. this is the wifie in April...
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,47514,47655#msg-47655

Interestingly... now that think more... when hiking down it on Feb 28. (it was still closed on the 25th)...
the steps were very muddy... well... not muddy per sey... but a lot of dirt on them...
I'm now wondering if it was from the mist of water... which could have been laden
with particulate matter of the soil variety due to the Meadow fire ...

Nut sure.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 11, 2016 06:55AM
Heck even the Ice Cut was dooz-able in late Feb this year...

Not sure what normal winter is anymore... but no way you would consider in normal...
even then... it was worse than what it looks... and ...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login