Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Today at Tioga Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 12, 2016 06:07PM
Re: Today at Tioga Pass
May 12, 2016 08:02PM
May 12, 2016 09:02PM
KevinD
Yay! Maybe I'll go up this weekend.

The road was certainly clear as far as I could see. But who knows how much work needs doing.
May 13, 2016 07:42AM
Entrance not open? But no gate either?

Also, looks like they remove the Yosemite signs in winter? And was the plow driver drunk? Destroyed the keep right sign?
May 14, 2016 03:49PM
hotrod4x5
Entrance not open? But no gate either?

There's a gate just past the Gaylor Lakes trailhead parking.
May 15, 2016 07:44AM
I just checked the NPS site and the latest "official" Tioga Rd says "no estimated opening date" (updated May 6th).

I also read (can't find it now...) that once the road has been made passable (but not yet open to motorized vehicles) it is opened to bicycles.

To me this would be a spectacular opportunity - not having to worry about dodging cars, trucks and busses.

Is there any way to get advance notice of this opening? Is it generally just a few days? It doesn't seem to be a well-publicized event (at least on the nps.gov site).
May 15, 2016 08:52AM
It's open this weekend to bicycles, I know of no way to get advance notice except to call the Public Information Office; 209/372-0200 (then dial 3 then 5). Most likely they will close it again on Monday so they can work on the road. A weather system coming in around Wednesday will slow things down.
May 15, 2016 10:22AM
Thanks. Looks like I missed the boat (saddle) this time but maybe next weekend...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login