Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Glacier Pt Waterworks, the Twin Falls of Cascade Creek, and Elephant Rock (long)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

I snagged a couple of nights at the Lodge, and bent my calendar until it yielded a full day and two half days in the Valley. We arrived Monday at mid-afternoon and had time to dash up the Four Mile Trail to Union Point and on to the old water works (see link). My buddy and I wanted to see if it had fallen into ruin over the last two years, and whether the trail to it through otherwise impenetrable brush was still navigable.

I'm happy to report that the trail has been kept open, the pump and electrical equipment have been cleaned off, and there is a big pile of plastic pipe that could be used to fix the winter breaks between the storage tank and the spring. But the tank is empty, and the feeder pipe still broken. I'm guessing that if the new well up at Glacier Point ever dries up, there will be a rush to fix the old system

Looking back at the bushy section, you can see the old iron pipe that used to feed the comfort station and watering trough at Union Point.

The pump shed is weathering, but the tank (on the left) looks OK:

The stuff inside the shed is clean, and looks fine.

The waterfalls were mostly running full, even Ribbon Falls, which has a very small drainage area to feed it. Here is the standard Yosemite Falls view from the Four Mile Trail:

Tuesday was our main hiking day. Since my buddy had never hiked the section of trail from Tamarack Flat to El Capitan, that was our primary goal. But we also wanted to detour via Chick-on Knob to get a view of the Twin Falls of Cascade Creek. One of our favorite places. As you hike up the trail, you get a good view of the knob as you pass by.

When we first tried to figure out how to get to the twin falls in 2012, Chick-on had proposed a route to get there via this knob. He later passed that way as he beat us to the spot. .
See: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,57245,57245#msg-57245

We, of course, took a much longer way to get there in 2013. But it was worth it. This from June three years ago:

For much more about the Twin Falls look here (link). Other than Chick-on and us, I am unaware of anyone who has been there...

As we approached Ribbon Meadow on the way to El Capitan, it became clear why Ribbon Falls was still running. We had seen no snow until now on the hike, but the woods above the falls still held several feet of dense snow. The day was hot, and it was melting like crazy.

After spending an hour or so poking around on the top of El Capitan, we set off for Chick-on Knob, and its promised view.

The bushwhacking down off Chick-on Knob was the worst that I have seen in several years. We were running a bit late, so we didn't do much scouting....we just plunged into it. Bad idea. Here is the whole route. (17 miles. From the lowest to the highest point measured only 2000 vertical feet, but the ups and downs added about another thousand....) On the map, F marks the falls and K marks Chick-on Knob.

We left the established trail at the west end of Ribbon Meadow and cut over to cross the route down from El Cap ridge (link) and close to the Old Mono Trail (link). Familiar territory, but not places to visit on this day trip.

On Wednesday we had to leave around noon, so we did some easy short stuff: We bushwhacked along the cliff from Rostrum (which is closed for peregrine falcon nesting) to Elephant Rock (which is not), then played around on the slick rock of Turtleback Dome. Plus a short stop at the base of The Cascade on the way out of the park. Elephant Rock is very impressive.

Turtleback Dome is always fun to scramble around on. The Cascade is also an interesting place. The old ranger station there has been torn down, and the old trail stonework and pipe rail there have been purposely obscured, but there are still interesting things to be seen. For example, this pair that we saw there on Wednesday:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 11:45PM by wherever.
wherever

Turtleback Dome is always fun to scramble around on. The Cascade is also an interesting place. The old ranger station there has been torn down, and the old trail stonework and pipe rail there have been purposely obscured, but there are still interesting things to be seen. For example, this pair that we saw there on Wednesday:

Thanks for another excellent writeup of your day hikes.

Were the rattlesnake and kingsnake in the same vicinity? If they were, it is a cool juxtaposition of the hunted, the rattlesnake, and the hunter, the kingsnake, hunting down its prey.

Leave No Trace
The king snake was about four hundred feet upstream. So their paths weren't about to cross immediately. Anyway, the rattler was much bigger...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 07:08PM by wherever.
avatar Re: Glacier Pt Waterworks, the Twin Falls of Cascade Creek, and Elephant Rock (long)
June 13, 2016 06:55AM
Nice.

Z Old Stick N Fedders had fun in that vicinity...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,65293,65293#msg-65293

smiling smiley

Glad to see you out there enjoying!

What, no split rock?

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
chick-on

What, no split rock?

smiling smiley

It remains elusive. Maybe the split healed itself shut.

This does give me a chance to go back and for it look some more....
avatar Re: Glacier Pt Waterworks, the Twin Falls of Cascade Creek, and Elephant Rock (long)
June 15, 2016 02:57PM
You should go find this one ... maybe it's not THE Split Rock... but it's worth checking out:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,82254,82254#msg-82254

Chick-on is looking at you!
Grump. That thread occurred while I was preoccupied with the start of ski season. I forgot to corral you and get some coordinates or locations for those two examples before we went up there last week.

Is there any place in Yosemite that doesn't have Chick-on tracks on it?

By the way, those of us who have been using Picassa for photo links are in for trouble when Picassa goes away entirely soon. It's not clear if the new Google service will be so easy to coax a web link out of. I have an awful lot of photo links on this site that might need fixing....
wherever

Is there any place in Yosemite that doesn't have Chick-on tracks on it?

Based on what he said on another thread, Sunnyside Bench and Fern Ledge doesn't have any Chick-on tracks ... yet.

Leave No Trace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login