Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Falling tree kills woman in HDV

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Falling tree kills woman in HDV
March 06, 2017 02:14PM
Re: Falling tree kills woman in HDV
March 06, 2017 06:33PM
Unfortunately another person is killed by a falling tree in Yosemite Valley. The tunnel view shows maybe 50% of the pine trees are dead or dying from the bark beetles. Since this is a National Park and not a wilderness area the park service should be looking at a plan to improve this situation. Dangerous trees could be removed and new native seedlings planted. Trees were cut to return the tunnel view to its original sight and Black Oaks planted to replace the dying ones. Unlike fires I don't believe the Ponderosa Pines will reseed themselves without the heat to open the pine cones.
avatar Re: Falling tree kills woman in HDV
March 06, 2017 07:38PM
Incredibly unfortunate.

Please bear in mind that the park has been closing the campgrounds
including Half Dome Village for wind events since the beginning of December.
They have done it a number of times since then.
Additionally they have been cutting dead pines along the road and campgrounds.
You can see one right in the picture in the article.

When driving home we thought they had closed like they had before....
preemptively... not after such a sad incident has already occurred.

Deepest condolences to her loved ones

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Falling tree kills woman in HDV
March 06, 2017 08:16PM
I was in camp 4 last weekend and there was quite a bit of tree debris. Not sure if it was just broken branches, or if a tree(s) had come down.

I also noticed a HUGE pile of debris on the Upper Pine campground side of the road while driving down to the Trailhead Parking lot.

It looked like NPS had been busy cleaning up the results from the storms! I don't think the problems are the dead trees. It's that the soil is soooo wet, in some places it's just mud, that it can't keep the trees upright.

I usually poo-pah the 'over' reactions of NPS, but then something like this happens and I have to re-think. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 08:19PM by qumqats.
March 07, 2017 10:39PM
My condolence to her family and friends. Unfortunately, even with healthy trees, with soil saturation and high winds, you never know which one might fall over or break part way up the tree.
March 06, 2017 10:29PM
Really sad to see a life lost like this, especially a 21 year old. My condolences are with her family and friends.

Totally concur that these are tricky times with over-saturated grounds and high winds, so I gotta remember to play it safe. The current conditions are probably overwhelming for NPS employees also - the weather as well as their overall environment.
March 08, 2017 11:47AM
This is really scary as I have stayed in those tents many times. I feel very sorry for this victim and I have to wonder if the NPS should be doing more to ensure the safety of guests staying in those cabins.
March 09, 2017 07:16AM
More on this tragedy.

https://goo.gl/PVvlek
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login