Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Mist Trail to Glacier Point Hike- am I crazy?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mist Trail to Glacier Point Hike- am I crazy?
March 14, 2017 01:18AM
I'm visiting Yosemite from Australia in early May, and was really keen to see Glacier Point. Given the high snowpack it seems unlikely the road will be open by then, but I was wondering if it's possible to hike to Glacier Point and back via the Mist Trail in a day given the length of the hike and possible snow on trail? Being a Yosemite newbie I'm not really sure what the conditions are like so if anyone can set me straight that would be great.

Thanks for the help everyone.smiling smiley
That's like 8-9 miles each way, which is doable (if you're in shape) when the weather is good, but is going to be a challenge with the trail covered in snow. Hard to predict what will be in early May, depends alot on the weather between now and then. The Mist Trail itself should be clear, and the switchbacks on Illilouette Ridge in the burn-out area have good sun exposure, so the snow cover there may not be as bad, but I'm guessing that even there the trail will still have a few feet of snow. Maybe go up that way prepared with snowshoes, give yourself a time limit, and get as far as you can go. If the Four Mile Trail is open then, consider going up that way, and then come down the Mist Trail - you'll save some distance, as well as some vertical gain/loss. Or just go up and down the FMT - it's not nearly as pretty as the Mist Trail, but it will get you to GP.
avatar Re: Mist Trail to Glacier Point Hike- am I crazy?
March 14, 2017 07:43AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

Nevada Falls loop is nice.
Out and back on Panorama Trail to Illilouette bridge is nice...
and you'll see the trail and how much snow is up top by then.
I'd expect only snow on the last 500 ft. to top of GP ...
but heck, it could not snow any more... and once they start
plowing Apr 15... the road could be open by then...
(they seem to be trying to open the roads much earlier
every year... so ... you may be in luck)

Don't fret... it all good

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login