Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Mist Trail Open

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 27, 2017 12:54PM
The Mist Trail is now open. The John Muir Trail from Clark Point to the Panoramic Trail Junction remains closed.
Re: Mist Trail Open
March 27, 2017 04:08PM
Thanks for the timely news. I will be staying at Half Dome Village late next week. Do you whether it is possible to hike up to Nevada Falls without microspikes or the like? How about other trails out of the valley like Yosemite Falls? Thanks again.
March 28, 2017 06:41AM
scl94556
Thanks for the timely news. I will be staying at Half Dome Village late next week. Do you whether it is possible to hike up to Nevada Falls without microspikes or the like? How about other trails out of the valley like Yosemite Falls? Thanks again.

Hm. Brings up point of interest from this past weekend.. saw a sandwich board sign at beginning of Bridalveil Falls path from parking lot with bathrooms advising people use traction devices, icy, slippery, etc..

A couple of weeks ago, we left them in the car, decided to go as far as comfortable with our hiking shoes. Met an elderly couple at beginning of icy section. They were heading down. They warned us about how slippery it was. We thanked them and agreed and continued on. Almost immediately after moving on, we heard a thud and turned and saw the gentleman sitting on the ground. Ugh. We watched, he was able to get up with apparently no major issues (well bundled)...but uh, yah..

We see a lot of inappropriate footwear and a distinct lack of appreciation for how treacherous some of the front country conditions can be...

This time of year, i'd carry lightweight traction devices or kahtoola microspikes or snowshoes depending on how high we go and aspect and all.

But it's been warm...

Coming down from Pohono trail this weekend, went from snowshoes to regular hiking boot conditions fast. Like a switch. And the typically icy stuff closer to the parking lot, well, it was all running water... no spikes needed at all.

So short version: i'd carry something in case... but.. who knows by the time u r there. But again, imo, the weight of the traction devices is negligible, cuz they are incredibly handy when needed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 07:48PM by JustKeepWalking.
March 28, 2017 01:19PM
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login