Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Medlicott climbers' trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Medlicott climbers' trail
July 28, 2019 10:50AM
using this https://tedmuller.us/Outdoor/Hiking/2016/160620-MedlicottLakes.htm as a reference, I reconnoitered the route last September. two pullouts from 120 seem possibilities (both within variously cited mileages from Tenaya lake upper lot, and from TM store lot) but the upper one (closer to TM) yielded an obvious trail, well used and maintained, which intersected the Tenaya Lake trail and continued, obvious and perpendicular, toward the Dome. the problem came when the trail hit a boulder field (car not man-sized boulders). couldn't find a reasonable route through or around this extensive obstacle, let alone trailsign of any kind.

the S-curve cited in the article seemed to arise when the trail was already traversing below the face of the dome. this was a straightforward dead end while still on a perpendicular approach. wrong trail? black magic? poor eyesight? will reconnoiter again mid Sept, any insight into my mistake appreciated. is there a jog along the Tenaya Lake trail on the way from the pullout? daughters coming up a few days later, would like to recommend as dayhike to Cathedral Lake, both are experienced backpackers with limited off-trail history. as for myself, sometimes "old school" transforms into "old". any suggestions will be warmly received.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 04:21PM by mkbgdns.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login