Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Taboose Fire

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 05, 2019 05:53PM
Fire crews are suppressing the Taboose Fire. The fire started yesterday evening and is currently estimated to be 125 acres. The fire is located southwest of Big Pine and northwest of the community of Aberdeen. The fire is burning at approximately 5,000 feet in elevation in sagebrush. The fire’s growth is terrain driven and is growing in the steep and rocky terrain at the base of the Eastern Sierra.

The fire is not easily accessible by roads, which is limiting crew response options. Helicopters completing water drops to slow fire growth. The cause of the fire is under investigation. However, the Eastern Sierra has been experiencing extensive and widespread lightning with an unstable monsoonal pattern. The Birch Creek community has been evacuated and Fish Springs and Aberdeen have received pre-evacuation notifications. Taboose Campground and Tinnemaha Creek Campground are evacuated and are being used by crews for fire response. This is an Interagency response that includes US Forest Service crews, Bureau of Land Management, Cal Fire, Inyo County Sheriff’s Office, and the Bishop and Big Pine Fire Departments. There are approximately 80 personnel on the fire. This includes an Interagency Hotshot Crew, numerous engines, two helicopters. Addition resources are ordered and en route. Weather today remains under a moist monsoonal pattern. This may bring additional lightning and outflow winds associated with thunder cells. It may also bring rain to the fire area. Visitors to the Eastern Sierra are advised to avoid the fire area for their safety and to aid in a safe fire response.
September 06, 2019 10:47AM
The Taboose Fire, located southwest of Big Pine and northwest of the community of Aberdeen, remains at 380 acres and 30% containment. Last night, the fire was quiet and showed no growth. Today, crews will continue strengthening containment lines and mopping up hot spots. A slight chance for thunderstorms remains in the forecast. Taboose Creek Campground has re-opened. Birch Creek, Fish Springs and Aberdeen remain under pre-evacuation notifications and Tinnemaha Creek Campground is being used by crews for fire response
Re: Taboose Fire
September 06, 2019 05:51PM
I wouldn't be surprised to have new fire discoveries from Mon-Tue-Wed thunderstorms. I hiked Tuesday and had 60 or more episodes of lightning/thunder right overhead. And yesterday I hiked and smelled smoke, but yesterday's storms, starting at 6:30am had no thunder/lightning. (where I was, at least...South fork Bishop Creek.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login