Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Chick-on Basket

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 14, 2010 08:55PM
This morning:

(that's Half Dome shadow on North Dome)

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 14, 2010 08:56PM
Last night:

November 14, 2010 09:35PM
Cold night?
November 15, 2010 06:45AM
eeek
Cold night?

Not bad. 15 bag w/ Bivy was too warm... had to go barefoot.
Wind was a little annoying...

Wherever, wondering what route you have taken from Snow Creek.
Original plan was to go up the gully NE of the dome E of Basket.
Couple of issues with that was a) the gully was full of snow and had
never been up or down it before, and b) the shrubbation was
ridiculous there... worked way over to the west down below in the
trees but eventually said screw it on account of the height of
the shrub lower... and b/c of a) wasn't 100% sure even if got
to the gully could go up safely. Ended up going back to trail
and taking the "gully" which is almost directly E of the natural arch
on indian ridge then S to the dome.

Here's a shot of the first gully:

Came down Indian Canyon via North Dome on way out. Glad had gone
up it before b/c I highly doubt would have found any inkling of trail had I not.

November 15, 2010 07:07AM
wherever... looking at your maps... from where you placed #10 looks like you went the same way.
although maybe you came from the north entirely...???
not a bad route looks like from Indian rock down to the arch... then down to the meadow below
then east for nice views...

Here's the way I went:

Hopefully someone is interested in this crap.

Re: Chick-on Basket
November 15, 2010 01:23PM
chick-on
wherever... looking at your maps... from where you placed #10 looks like you went the same way.
although maybe you came from the north entirely...???
not a bad route looks like from Indian rock down to the arch... then down to the meadow below
then east for nice views...

Hopefully someone is interested in this crap.

Wonderful. I love to see someone else doing this stuff. I hope that you will agree that the Indian Canyon Trail is much easier going down. And, yes, it took me a few tries to locate the old Indian Canyon Trail the first time. I hope you agree that it is a marvelous bushwhack.

You did get the Basket Dome route correct on the second try. I should have mentioned to stay high. But I have only done this route going in the other direction, as part of one way jaunts from Tioga Pass Highway to North Dome, then to Basket Dome and down to the Valley via the Snow Creek Trail.

I've scouted that lower route that you tried first, but the brush there is ferocious. I won't try it again unless it burns over.

Please keep us posted on your trips.
November 15, 2010 10:09PM
wherever
You did get the Basket Dome route correct on the second try. I should have mentioned to stay high. But I have only done this route going in the other direction, as part of one way jaunts from Tioga Pass Highway to North Dome, then to Basket Dome and down to the Valley via the Snow Creek Trail.

I've scouted that lower route that you tried first, but the brush there is ferocious. I won't try it again unless it burns over.

Please keep us posted on your trips.
Will do.

Really wanted to go up the first gully which spied from Quarter Domes... figured the bush would be delicious... but
gave it a go anyway. when the gully is free of snow next year may give it another try but stay higher and try to
work around the lower shrub ... really hesitant to come down that gully with a pack on... checked it out from above... looks yummy.

Here it is from Quarter Domes a week earlier. Unfortunately the storm pretty much zapped the color from the
gully directly east of Basket... at least I couldn't spy any really nice color in the gully from all the pts I went to...

November 15, 2010 11:17PM
chick-on
Really wanted to go up the first gully which spied from Quarter Domes... figured the bush would be delicious... but
gave it a go anyway. when the gully is free of snow next year may give it another try but stay higher and try to
work around the lower shrub ... really hesitant to come down that gully with a pack on... checked it out from above... looks yummy.

Here it is from Quarter Domes a week earlier. Unfortunately the storm pretty much zapped the color from the
gully directly east of Basket... at least I couldn't spy any really nice color in the gully from all the pts I went to...

Right. I've done the same scheming from Quarter Domes. You just have to go onto the hill itself to find out. Maybe next year. Perhaps a miraculous path through the brush will appear. Or maybe you'll spend half a day going a hundred yards....
November 16, 2010 07:17AM
I knew it was "probably" difficult at best... but you just don't know for sure unless you go.
Sometimes you can zig zag and find a path thru w/o too much pain.
I think if you just head due NW and forget the trees it may be doable. At least it's not
all Manz.
Similar delicious goodness can be found in the gully E of Moraine Dome.
Came down that way after spending the night atop the dome E of Moraine.
Great fun... last portion was walking on the top of willows. Nothing better.
You know you're bush whacking when you have to force your way thru and
bend down willows to walk on their trunks. yum

Def. putting the Basket Gully on my list for next year. Have to conquer it. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 07:18AM by chick-on.
April 23, 2012 11:03AM
We dooz the Basket Gully. Not tooooo bad coming down.... at least you can see where you are going.
Of course shins take the usual beating.... Will have to pretent I'm in the Zen Tree for the rest of the week...
especially after losing one of my cameras in the shrubbation on way down ... sad smiley

Half Dome a Good One

April 23, 2012 11:55AM
chick-on

Will have to pretent I'm in the Zen Tree for the rest of the week...
especially after losing one of my cameras in the shrubbation on way down ... sad smiley

Oh no! Sorry to hear about losing your camera. Which one was it?

(For me what's worse than losing the camera itself (usually replaceable) is losing all the photos still contained inside of it and not downloaded (or in the case of a film camera, developed).

Maybe someone (perhaps you) will locate it on a future trip down the gully.

April 23, 2012 02:43PM
plawrence
chick-on

Will have to pretent I'm in the Zen Tree for the rest of the week...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about losing your camera. Which one was it?

(For me what's worse than losing the camera itself (usually replaceable) is losing all the photos still contained inside of it and not downloaded (or in the case of a film camera, developed).

Maybe someone (perhaps you) will locate it on a future trip down the gully.

Well... I do have my GPS track... but it's very very unlikely anyone will ever find it. I may go thru there just to
take a look once the road opens. It's somewhere in this shrubbery:

Bummed because it was my supa zoom and I got some shots of peeps on Snake Dike taken from North Dome.

Here's a little better shot of the gully:

And a sweet shot of Chick-on Basket. Gorgeous Dome

I dropped this camera when was crossing the saddle in the last picture... it went tumbling down the gully there about 30 ft.
Not having much luck with cameras / video things lately...

April 23, 2012 03:42PM
chick-on
Bummed because it was my supa zoom and I got some shots of peeps on Snake Dike taken from North Dome.

Bummer. I would have loved to see those pictures. Snake Dike is definitely on my bucket list. The last picture is gorgeous indeed.
April 23, 2012 04:07PM
Always sad to hear about lost cameras. RIP
April 24, 2012 06:42AM
I cannot begin to imagine the heartbreak of a lost camera. Hell, a broken and destroyed one would be better; at least you'd have a body to bury, so to speak.

What's next? A Canon G12? M4/3? Another Panny?
April 24, 2012 07:09AM
It wasn't the LX5 so may just go with only that one for awhile.

April 25, 2012 05:50AM
Three years ago I dropped my small digital camera on North Dome (with an entire trip of photos) and began chasing it as it caroomed down the south slope. The thought crossed my mind, "O.K. idiot, just how far down this rock are you going to pursue this bouncing camera?" Fortunately, it stopped on its own before finding a short cut to Yosemite Valley.
April 25, 2012 07:17AM
When I drop something I usually just hope it stops. wink
When the LX5 was bouncing down the gully I had one leg on each side of log...
and was just saying "please stop".
Anywho. I figured there would be comments on the camera... but also thought
that maybe there would be some "Holy Crapola... that is one friggin COOL dome I gotta go there now"

I think I'm going back to bed or hang out in my Zen tree:

happy place...

happy place...

Ahh...
and that concludes my "trip report"

Have a nice day
(o... and old dude... take a look at the last one there... and think again what I said about snow on the south rim)
(i.e. expect it)

May 01, 2012 08:14AM
I put more in this set:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/IndianBasket

Mainly I did this b/c it came to my attention that someone elsewhere
pointed to the set and just wanted to make it clear what the
route was and whatnot.

May 30, 2020 04:37PM
chick-on
Here's a little better shot of the gully:

Great clicks!! and sorry about the camera. Is this gully from the west side or the SW side?

Hoping to check out BD later in June and wondering whether to traverse the SW side from ND or go straight West to East from the trail and shoot for the notch or base of the gully. Totally understand if you are not divulging the details here anymore...
June 17, 2020 05:02PM
Sorry so late in response to this. Yeah, you should definitely just stay on trail. smiling smiley

PM me and I'll say what I really think. I don't want to put a route here and then people
try to do this or that and then it's shrubby and they get mad at me.
I mean Indian Canyon is free and clear baby!

April 23, 2012 07:44PM
chick-on

I think it was the smell of Twinkie from the west that distracted you, resulting in the camera snafu... sorry about that :-)

April 23, 2012 09:09PM
basilbop
I think it was the smell of Twinkie from the west that distracted you, resulting in the camera snafu... sorry about that :-)
Darnit... and I looked at a bunch of trailheads for those tastey peeek-up truck wires...
didn't find the ones I really like... had to settle for a couple of twinkies and a cupcake...

Kewl. Nice. Did you walk all the way to the edge? And ... man, wasn't it warm? Glad I took my 30 deg. bag this time.

Here's me with some big rock and stuff in the background:

April 23, 2012 09:44PM
Just looked at your faux toes... Nice dayhike. Good call on the snowshoes...
postholed up to my dingleballs up on the rim. Not a huge amount of snow...
but enough to make it very very slow going with no big flippers.
Thanks. I'll have to look better for Gentry's next time.

November 15, 2010 06:53AM
In case anyone is wondering...
Color in the valley is still very nice.
And
Once above the valley rim the trails were covered in about
6 inches of snow.

November 15, 2010 09:46AM
Thanks for the posts, I will live vicariously thru the Chick-on and Bill EG until I get a down bag...
November 15, 2010 09:58PM
How about a zen moment?

November 15, 2010 10:37PM
chick-on
How about a zen moment?

View from another perspective.

Gigapan: Looking across Tenaya Canyon from North Dome at the face of Yosemite's Half Dome

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 10:44PM by qumqats.
November 16, 2010 07:18AM
Very cool. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login