Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

DAY USE PERMITS

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

DAY USE PERMITS
March 01, 2021 10:05AM
On Yosemite web site today..........Starting on March 1, Day Use Entry reservations will not be required to enter Yosemite Nat...
wonder how long this will last?
March 03, 2021 06:19PM
I've been away from Yosemite for 8 years. Would someone explain to me what day use permits are? Does that mean day hikers had to have a permit?
Jim
Re: DAY USE PERMITS
March 03, 2021 08:43PM
Due to the high rates of Covid, the park had required a day use permit to limit the amount of people in the park. If you did not have reservations in the park for camping or lodging, a wilderness permit or reservations in Foresta, Yosemite West or Wawona, or took public transportation into the park, you had to get a day use permit. People with permits were only allowed in the park from 8 am to 5 pm and the permits were good for 7 days. Even if you had a park pass, you had to have a permit.

As of March 1st, they no longer are requiring those permits. However, please be aware, if the the rates of Covid rise above a certain level, there is a possibility that they might institute the requirements for day use permits again. Hopefully with people getting vaccinated, the rate of Covid infection will continue to drop and they will not have to do this again.

Do be aware that not everything might be opened this year and to keep checking the park website.
March 04, 2021 03:45AM
Parklover, thank you for the clarification. I was deeply concerned about committing to the purchase of cross-country airline tickets, hotel reservations, and car rental for a week of day hiking in August, only to be turned away at the Tioga gate! In the unlikely case it happens again, at least I can cancel everything but the cheap--no refund airline tickets.
Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login