Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Traffic pattern pilot study in eastern Yosemite Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Traffic pattern pilot study in eastern Yosemite Valley
May 18, 2021 03:15PM
I think that intersection at Sentinel and Southside Drive/Northside Drive could be interesting if people get confused.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/roadpilot.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2021 03:18PM by parklover.
avatar Re: Traffic pattern pilot study in eastern Yosemite Valley
June 09, 2021 06:27PM
I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. The consequences of a wrong decision don't seem all that bad -- unless of course someone panics and makes a really wrong decision like a U-turn in a strictly-one-way lane. no, stop, enough!

Coming into the area on Southside, you can either take the right lane and continue toward Curry Village or take the left lane and cross Sentinel Bridge. Once you opt to cross Sentinel Bridge, you're committed to Northside Drive toward the Lodge. The next place to turn around is apparently the El Cap Crossover.

If you take the right lane instead of crossing Sentinel Bridge, you can either keep right again a mile or so later and go through Curry Village, or keep left and cross Stoneman Bridge toward Day Use Parking and Yosemite Village.

Going through Curry Village is how you get to and from the Pines campgrounds, so there's likely to be quite a bit more traffic through the Curry area now.

After leaving Curry Village on Northside, you can (presumably) turn right after Ahwahnee Meadow to go to the Village or turn left a little farther on, into Day Use Parking. If you stay on Northside (or return to it from one of the above destinations), you get to the other Sentinel Drive intersection. Here, you can either take the right lane toward the Lodge (and the exits) or take the left lane toward Sentinel Bridge and the Curry area again.

I gather YARTS buses coming into the park will have to get to the Visitor Center and the Lodge by way of Curry Village. I can see why NPS chose a no-shuttles year to try this experiment. I can't even imagine what the shuttle routes (and stops) will look like next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2021 11:55AM by gophersnake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login