Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Yosemite logging unprecedented for a national park, says conservation group suing to stop it

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite logging unprecedented for a national park, says conservation group suing to stop it
June 16, 2022 10:21AM
Yosemite National Park has a large logging project underway that a California conservation group is asking a federal judge to stop. The project summary states that trees up to 20 inches in diameter could be cut down in Yosemite across approximately 2,000 acres and 40 miles of park roads and trails.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/california/yosemite/article262477057.html
"“They’re actually clear cutting the forest – mature and old forests – in Yosemite Valley.”

Didn't Yosemite Valley flood every year - thus precluding forest growth - until sometime in the 1890's, when rocks forming natural damn in the Merced River were blasted away, thus enabling forest growth?

Or do I have my history/forestry wrong?
I can't remember if it has been said that the valley flooded every year but remember reading that the natural dam meant that the water table was higher which controlled the number of trees, especially pines. Add in the fact the Native Americans routinely burned the valley and that also helped control the number of trees. If you see early paintings and pictures of Yosemite Valley, you can see that there are less trees than they are now. Studies are not showing that the kind of tree removal they are doing, which is basically clear cutting, actually increases fire danger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login