Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: At Last, Dana: 8-11-09

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 11, 2009 11:54PM
What does a girl want for her birthday? A mountain, of course! The Goatpack is on another mountain far, far away, so it was time to clean up some unfinished business. At the end of June, I attempted Mt. Dana with Goatie, but a howling wind, 35 degrees, and a disagreeable stomache caused me to turn back 700ft from the summit. Not so, today, as I finally bagged this mountain and can now move on!

The only glitches that I had was the fact that i got a late start because it was a turn and burn trip: drive up, climb, and go home (not the best in aclimatization methods, but it worked) At 2:00pm, a nasty looking cell was starting to form up, so I had little time to spare ont the summit, but that was okay, because i was starting to get a little dizzy spending time in that rare air. The trail up to Dana is well defined, but it gets a little confusing about the last 100yrds up the summit, because there are no less than 10 different use paths, cairns and other confusing items that may stall the final steps up the peak, but I managed it. The distance is a bit deceiving because it's "only" 3 miles, HOWEVER, it IS 3,000ft in 3 miles, so that puts a little different spin on the numbers.

Taz standing in with the evidence

below east side of peak: Dana Plateau and tarn

Mono Lake as seen from Dana peak
avatar Re: At Last, Dana: 8-11-09
August 12, 2009 12:30AM
Now do Glacier Canyon!
August 14, 2009 12:15AM
eeek
Now do Glacier Canyon!

No, thanks -- looks totally unappealing!! It looks like a glorified desert (unless I am doing a peak, I want my hikes to have trees, flowers, greenery..LIFE!

B
August 14, 2009 12:28AM
Bee
eeek
Now do Glacier Canyon!

No, thanks -- looks totally unappealing!! It looks like a glorified desert (unless I am doing a peak, I want my hikes to have trees, flowers, greenery..LIFE!

B

I think you'd find it a lot better than it looks from up on top of Dana.
August 12, 2009 10:21AM
Congrats and belated Bday wishes! There is something about the photo below that I find mesmerizing...maybe it's my lack of seeing the depth of it...
Bee

below east side of peak: Dana Plateau and tarn
August 12, 2009 10:31AM
Miss Blooty!

The camera is first generation digipix, and the limitation is in the fixed focal length -- it was never meant to be forced into the close-up/depth of field combo that I set up in this pic. The result was massive compression. New camera is in order...someday!

B
August 23, 2009 04:56PM
This was the first time I had sent my Bee off where she would be on her own. I must admit I was like a bear watching her cub go off on its first solo hunt. I could not see the trail up the mountain so I asked the ranger at the trailhead if I would be able to see her when she came out of the trees. He said "Yes, and don't worry, she will be fine." Once I could see her I rushed down to Tuolumne so I could connect my computer and watch her progress with the new spot I gave her for her B-day; actually it was really for me so I would not worry so much about her. Silly I know, she is one of the most capable people I know, but that is what you do when you love someone. When I saw she was headed back down I rushed back to the trailhead to meet her. I swear she must have slid down that mountain she came down so fast. I gotta say I was one really proud old frog that day!
August 24, 2009 10:12AM
Bee'sFrog
This was the first time I had sent my Bee off where she would be on her own. I must admit I was like a bear watching her cub go off on its first solo hunt. I could not see the trail up the mountain so I asked the ranger at the trailhead if I would be able to see her when she came out of the trees. He said "Yes, and don't worry, she will be fine." Once I could see her I rushed down to Tuolumne so I could connect my computer and watch her progress with the new spot I gave her for her B-day; actually it was really for me so I would not worry so much about her. Silly I know, she is one of the most capable people I know, but that is what you do when you love someone. When I saw she was headed back down I rushed back to the trailhead to meet her. I swear she must have slid down that mountain she came down so fast. I gotta say I was one really proud old frog that day!

Brings a new dimension to that old British idiom:
SPOT on!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login