Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

White flagAramark has cancelled the High Sierra Camps yet Again!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar White flagAramark has cancelled the High Sierra Camps yet Again!
April 20, 2023 05:20PM
I've lost count of how may years in a row Aramark has found an excuse to cancel the high sierra camps....
Is it 5? 6?
avatar Re: White flagAramark has cancelled the High Sierra Camps yet Again!
April 20, 2023 09:18PM
At least it makes sense this time.
Aramark took over the concession in March 2016. Were the camps open that summer?

2017 was a heavy snow year, IIRC the HSCs didn't open.

What about 2018 and 2019?

2020 was the Wuhan virus. No HSCs.
2021 was residual Wuhan virus panic. No HSCs.

And I gather that last year Aramark came up with an excuse not to open them.

This year we have them closing the ski area early, because heavy snow necessitated its closure for a few weeks, and I'm guessing someone decided it was cheaper to fire staff than to keep the staff on payroll and reopen in March - and extend the ski season - than to reopen.

I also have to imagine that with they way they have treated employees at Yosemite until now, they've made it much harder on themselves to find the seasonal employees necessary to keep things running outside Yosemite Valley.

Bottom line, Aramark is not doing an iota more than it's required to do by its contract, and by not operating in a normal fashion for several years has likely lost whatever institutional memory there might have been regarding how to do things so as to keep visitors happy.

This company sucks.
Re: White flagAramark has cancelled the High Sierra Camps yet Again!
April 21, 2023 07:15AM
2018 - HSCs were open.
2019 - HSCs closed due to heavy snowpack.

So 2023 will be the fifth straight year that they have been closed.
April 21, 2023 04:50AM
Back in the day, under Delaware North, I was actually able to score a reservation for the HSC. But alas, it was a high snow year and they didn't open. So despite my distaste for Aramark, I understand their reasoning this time.
April 21, 2023 11:05AM
Do you know if the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge will be impacted by this decision?
April 21, 2023 11:25AM
Tuolumne Meadows and White Wolf show no indication that they will be closed this summer--yet.
I'll bet 100 pushups they will not open this summer.
April 22, 2023 07:38AM
Last year's excuse for not opening Tuolumne Lodge was lack of employees. The general store was open, although the Grill was closed. I just searched the YosemitePark.com web site, and they have marked every date for Tuolumne with a slash. That leads me to believe they probably won't open. I have reservations, however so far I have had no word from Aramark about Tuolumne not opening.
April 22, 2023 08:23AM
We have reservations also, and like you, no word on if they will open or not. We had them for last summer as well and of course got cancelled.
April 22, 2023 11:10AM
I've gone ahead and cancelled TML and booked Tenaya Lodge, Wawona, and Yosemite Lodge instead. 54th wedding anniversary, so HAVE to go to Yosemite...but will miss TML.
April 21, 2023 05:50PM
the snowpack has cancelled the camps this year. it's not an excuse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login