Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Woman Succumbs To Injuries Suffered In Fall

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Woman Succumbs To Injuries Suffered In Fall
August 18, 2009 02:36PM
A hiker made a 911 call to park dispatch from the summit of Cloud’s Rest (9,926 feet) around noon last Friday and reported that a 53-year-old woman had taken a tumbling fall from the summit and ended up on a ledge about 80 feet below, adding that other visitors had scrambled down to her location and reported that she was breathing but suffering from a severe head injury and unresponsive. Clifford Ashley, a wilderness patrol ranger, was in the area; he arrived on scene shortly thereafter, scrambled down to her, and began treatment. Yosemite's contract helicopter was launched and ranger/medics Jeff Webb and Matt Stark heli-rappeled to the ledge. They found that the woman – later identified as Marie Brizzard of North Hollywood, California – was shocky and extremely unstable. She was packaged and short-hauled with Stark to Ahwahnee Meadow, then taken to the Yosemite Medical Clinic to be stabilized before transport to a hospital. Brizzard died of her injuries while at the clinic.
avatar Re: Woman Succumbs To Injuries Suffered In Fall
August 18, 2009 05:40PM
It gets pretty narrow up there on the Summit; I am surprised that there are not more injuries sustained while climbing Cloud's Rest.
August 21, 2009 04:27PM
I have been to the summit of Cloud's Rest several times and I don't recall the Summit being narrow enough for someone to fall off of easily. Does anybody have a pic of themselves on the Summit of Cloud's Rest?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 04:29PM by BobbyLee.
August 21, 2009 04:39PM
BobbyLee
I have been to the summit of Cloud's Rest several times and I don't recall the Summit being narrow enough for someone to fall off of easily. Does anybody have a pic of themselves on the Summit of Cloud's Rest?

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,5720,5823#msg-5823
August 21, 2009 10:58PM
Yes, that is how I remember the summit to look. Hard to believe that the summit is narrow enough for someone to fall off, unless there were maybe 20 people on it. Even the approach to the summit isn't all that narrow unless you go way off trail and then you probably can find some narrow parts.

The article states that she took a tumbling fall "from the summit".

I guess anything is possible, hard to imagine though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 11:01PM by BobbyLee.
August 21, 2009 08:19PM
There is a stretch of about 30-50 feet where it gets very narrow. The "trail" goes around this narrow bit but if you don't see the trail you would go over the narrow part. The first time I was up there I went over the narrows on my hands and knees. Didn't know about the safe way off to the side.

Old Dude
August 10, 2017 03:29PM
mrcondron

Thank you. I hiked half dome last weekend and mid way through the sub-dome my acrophobia kicked in and I had to return. I am planning to hike clouds rest this labor day. I saw videos of the narrow stretch and it is freaking me out. Is the trail a marked side trail? In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP6IDWJ3DlE, is it the spot at 3:36? If so, what should I do when I get to this spot?

What would your advise be for a first timer with fear of heights? Any pointers would be very helpful.
August 10, 2017 07:22PM
Focus. Don't look at the big picture. Keep your universe limited to a few feet around yourself. Look for a line that is comfortable.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login