Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wawona Hotel Evacuated In Hazmat Incident

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mysterious odor forces Yosemite hotel closure
August 20, 2009 06:35PM
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif.—Officials still don't know what caused a noxious odor in the main building of Yosemite National Park's Wawona Hotel, sickening staff and causing the facility to close.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_13171931
Re: Mysterious odor forces Yosemite hotel closure
August 21, 2009 08:35AM
Poor housekeeping staff. I cleaned rooms in a motel for a summer, you get to open doors on some serious ick... found a room once where someone tore the mirror off the wall and used it to snort cocaine.
avatar Re: Mysterious odor forces Yosemite hotel closure
August 21, 2009 08:38AM
eeek
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif.—Officials still don't know what caused a noxious odor in the main building of Yosemite National Park's Wawona Hotel, sickening staff and causing the facility to close.

Perhaps someone should check to see if the kitchen was preparing chicken that day.
avatar Wawona Hotel Evacuated In Hazmat Incident
August 24, 2009 05:04AM
The park received a report of an unidentified odor at the Wawona Hotel just before noon on August 18th. Firefighters and rangers responded to the hotel to determine the cause, extent, and identity of the odor emitting from a second story room above the main lobby. The found seven people complaining of respiratory difficulties and throat irritation, two of whom reported that they’d become nauseated and vomited. Ultimately, a dozen people were treated at the scene and released. Fire units established command and declared a potential hazmat incident. Initial efforts were focused on medical treatment, evacuation, securing the perimeter and denying further entry. Patients were isolated and decontaminated in the process. Structural firefighters utilizing full PPE and a gas detector entered the hotel, searched for additional victims, and attempted to find the source of the irritant. No additional victims were discovered and a source could not be identified. After consultation with the Mariposa County health officer, a Class A hazmat team was ordered from the Merced County Fire Department through the California Emergency Management Agency. Team members were also unable to identify any type of health hazard. The hotel was reopened to the public around 7:30 p.m. after further consultation with the county health officer and hazmat team leader. Further investigation by rangers revealed that the irritant was bear repellent. The investigation continues. In all, six different agencies responded to the incident, providing an excellent exercise for the California mutual aid system.
avatar Re: Wawona Hotel Evacuated In Hazmat Incident
August 24, 2009 05:14AM
Could this have involved a certain notorious pair of socks previously reported on this forum?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 24, 2009 08:11AM
I'm convinced it sheep not goat!

LOVE the socks! Still holding up great! Darn Tough Socks!
August 24, 2009 08:36AM
eeek
Further investigation by rangers revealed that the irritant was bear repellent. The investigation continues.

My first thought was that it had to be some sort of pepper spray or tear gas.

I've never used any personal or bear-repellent pepper spray before, but I do remember my folks cooking some really hot peppers once. It just left this nasty feeling in the air where the eyes would well up and one would just cough uncontrollably.
August 24, 2009 04:44PM
Didn't know there were bears wandering the hallways at Wawona.

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login